Cropping limbs Questions and C&C

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

HandOnChin by Compressed Memories, on Flickr

I took this a day after I got my flash after doing a little bit of research on how to use it. I see a lot of people dismiss a picture (including my own lol) when a part of a body is cropped off
or if a body part is "detached" like in this pic above. Why? What is the theory behind cropping? How do I know if it is ok to crop a limb? When don't you?

Also, I wouldn't mind a C&C of this pic as well. I've been wanting to post it, but I just never did because of the way his hand comes into the frame. I don't know if it's bad or not. Let me know. Thanks!

I like the subject but As for the photo itself there is a weird line on the Childs left shoulder like the background was selected from the photo and changed. There's a couple hairs that are showing up on the shirt as well as some food(?), it's hard to tell on my phone what but some stuff around their mouth.

I can see why you cropped the photo as you did to put emphasis on the childs face. Although I'm thinking it might add to their expression it the whole arm was intact and not cropped. Sort of like a therapist saying "please go on."

Overall like I said I like the subject of the photo.

Maybe it's my monitor (might be on the bright side) but is the back of the chair not showing in the pic?

Yes on the right shoulder i can see it. I didn't even pay attention to it (which is good!) when I first looked. I did notice the shadow of the Childs head from your flash however.

Yes on the right shoulder i can see it. I didn't even pay attention to it (which is good!) when I first looked. I did notice the shadow of the Childs head from your flash however.

When you're saying right and left shoulder... his right and left or ours.

One usually doesn't crop at a joint, as it then appears that the individual has been a amputee.

You would neither crop at the top of a head and at the chin on the same image. (If only the eyes are visable then that is a different story). Usually, chins are not a good thing to crop but it has been done with great results, but that is that the norm.

Most reactions

Back