Cropping Question

michelina01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does it make a difference in print quality/resolution whether you crop your image to 4x6, if, say you want to print in 5x7 or 8x10 dimensions, or should you crop at 8x10, and you can always print in 4x6 or 5x7.
Oh my, did that sound confusing?!

your image should already be a 4x6.

Anyways...always keep the original. Of course cropping more takes away from image quality.
Sometimes though, you need to crop things out of the picture anyways...

What type of camera do you use? If it's a point and shoot, perhaps it's a 4x3 image...Hmm..

Thanks Sb;
I am the proud owner of a Canon EOS 40D, just upgraded my kit lens to L series 24-70mm.
And yes, they do already download as 4x6, but I was wondering, when doing any necessary cropping, if I should change those dimensions.
Also, is it necessary, if you want to make an 11x14, to recrop the image, as you will lose an inch on the side...I don't know why but I am having issues with cropping...

You keep the originals. always.

If you are going to have a print made, then yes...crop them to the correct size, so the lab doesn't make the wrong crop for you.

Use photoshop or lightroom, and they allow you to choose your dimensions then you only have to select which part you wanna keep.

I hope that's your question.

Yes,and thanks...and I always keep my originals! learned that one the hard way though years ago.
Cheers-
Michele

Most reactions

Back