cropping

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you take pictures for clients, do you crop the pictures to a certain size (like 8x10, 5x7, etc??) in photoshop (or other post processing program)? I'm kind of confused how this works. When you order prints, does part of the picture get "cut off" if it isn't cropped first? I don't even know if I'm explaining my question clearly. I've just read in some blogs on workflow that some photographers "crop" as a part of their usual steps. Some people have also mentioned as a tip to make sure when you take a picture that you leave room to crop. Why?? Thanks for your help.

Most cameras shoot with a ratio of 2:3...which is perfect for a 4x6 print...but the wrong ratio for a 5x7 print or an 8x10 print etc.
To go from one ratio to another, cropping is usually required.

If you send an image for printing, that isn't the proper ratio...it's likely that it will get 'cut off'...but sometimes they don't crop and give you blank strips on the sides of the image. Or sometimes they might crop without actually looking at what the best crop would be. That's why it's a good idea to do the cropping yourself. If you are ordering an 8x10, crop it to that ratio before you send it (save a copy, don't crop the original and save over it).

When giving digital files to the client...you may not know what size they will print, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to crop them too closely because it might ruin the possibility of a different ratio.

Also, if you 'fill the frame' when shooting, you might not be able to get a good crop for a different ratio...so it makes sense to leave a little space to allow for a different crop.
With a little practice, it's not hard to imagine what you would need for an 8x10 crop and just leave that much extra in the photos when shooting.

Thanks Big Mike. That was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Most reactions

Back