Cross Body Camera Straps

Another vote for Peak Design, great strap that you can easily alter the length of the strap while wearing it with a clever little buckle type thing, great to use.

I am looking to replace the advertising camera brand straps with a less eye catching strap, like all black.

I have the same problem that Tim and Destin pointed out.
I have an AS L-bracket or plate on my camera, and it would be a PiA to have to remove the plate to put on the strap mount. Then that defeats the purpose of the AS L-bracket/plate when I want to use the tripod, as I would have to first remove the strap mount, then put on the L-bracket or plate (and where is my allen wrench). For me, the L-bracket or plate lives on the camera.

I looked at the Acratech 'Swift Clamp' and it looks good, but as Tim said expensive.
But then the camera and lens is expensive.

The Peak Design 'slide' and 'slide light' seems like a possible solution.
My only concern is the cord-like attaching mechanism to the camera.

I use the OpTech strap with both connections attached to the same ring on the right side of my camera. I could use just one connector but I like the redundancy. My gear is not heavy so I’m not worried about the ring failing.

I can wear the strap cross body when I fully extend the strap. I’m 5’6” so this wouldn’t work for someone much taller. Using the ring leaves the tripod mount free and allows me to grab the camera and slide it up the strap to my eye without the strap being in the way.

The OpTech is super lightweight. The way I have mine set up I can wear it on either side.

Another vote for the Optech strap. I'm 6' tall and it works well for me. I've had it about 2 months and it seems to do everything I want. As SquarePeg noted, it's each to adjust or wear cross body on either side. Comes in handy on a long day; you can shift the weight as desired.

I have since switched to the Peak Design system. The slide, a couple of Captures and a Pro Pad. I can carry it over my shoulder, on my sling bag or on my belt. It all works well together. Even on my tripod. May get the lens holder too.

They make different plates. Sure you can get something to fit your needs. The cord like attachments are really strong. It holds my t2i, grip and Tamron 200-500mm no problem.

Another vote for Peak Design, great strap that you can easily alter the length of the strap while wearing it with a clever little buckle type thing, great to use.

Question on the buckle.
I am concerned about scratching of gear by the metal buckle in the camera bag, since everyone else is using plastic components. That buckle is not a tiny piece of metal.
Or am I overthinking the problem?

It is a brushed aluminum, a fairly soft metal. The edges are all rounded and nicely smoothed. I don't see it being a problem unless it were sandwiched between heavy gear with a lot of bouncing around.

When putting my camera in the bag it is placed there and you can see where the strap is within the bag, there is no problem with this strap. Zulu has just about said it all.

Question on the buckle.
I am concerned about scratching of gear by the metal buckle in the camera bag, since everyone else is using plastic components. That buckle is not a tiny piece of metal.
Or am I overthinking the problem?

Overthinking it. It detaches very simply and can be placed in another part of the bag. Or, put it in the cinch pouch that comes with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back