Cross Processing at CVS?

warheit12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just realized I dont no any place that does E-6 processing where I am at. What would happen if I gave CVS my fuji velvia 50. I mean the guy at my CVS is a moron and wouldnt no the difference, but effectly if i did that it would cross process right? or is there something more to it i dont understand.

CVS photo techs are supposed to be trained to look at the film to make sure it says C-41 on it, of course I doubt all are trained that thoroughly, even at my store (most clerks and supervisors are "trained" for a day or two in photo and allowed to work photo; seems i'm one of the last ones to have been more thoroughly trained since I was hired as a photo tech...). That said, the almighty wikipedia is telling me or at least implying that E-6 process film can be run on a C-41 machine. I might be reading that wrong or just not have enough background in film and film processes to read between the lines, but here's what it says:

"Unlike some color reversal processes (such as Kodachrome K-14) that produce positive transparencies, E-6 processing can be performed by amateurs with the same equipment that is used for processing black and white negative film or C-41 color negative film. The process is sensitive to temperature variations; a tempered water bath is recommended to stabilize the temperature at 100.0 °F for the first developer and first wash to maintain process tolerances."

edit: that last part about the temperature might be critical and i forget offhand what temperature the chemicals are kept at (the developer handles that automatically and testing is done in the morning and i haven't worked mornings in a couple of years)

Source: E-6 process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would say if you can get another roll of the same film, take some pictures that test yourself (and have some fun with it) just try it.

CVS is good for a few things;
First, Hopefully you can get away with seeming more knowledgeable then you are, as in my case. When I go in there I tell them that I only want the role to be developed, I don't want prints, I don't want scan, and if I can please get back the metal film canister so that way I can "practice loading my own film" they think I know what I am doing and do it the way I request. At that point when they do notice the difference on developing, they jut do it anyway, with out the extra x-process charge.

Secondly, The best thing about it...: it's $3 bucks compared to the $6-$9 at the pro camera shop (not including prints or scans, but that too would end up being cheaper).

Finally, For experimenting its the best thing that you can do. you don't have to worry about spending a lot of money and you can do things that you normally would not do because you didn't want to ruin a roll, you can really let yourself go and try things differently, in a new way and see if it works, or see if it does not. You can challenge yourself, and see what your made of.

But if you don't trust it, don't do it. I've had faith, then gotten back blank rolls... :( I learned I take the rolls I knew I might have good stuff on to my regular place that charges $6 per roll just for developing. And with takes a day or two compared to the few hours. But it's worth it if you get a good roll back.

--hollywoodpunk, lomographer

New definition of cross processing: give reversal film to moron behind photo counter at CVS :lol:

(Be sure to write "C-41" on the roll first in case he's been trained to check.)

... That said, the almighty wikipedia is telling me or at least implying that E-6 process film can be run on a C-41 machine. I might be reading that wrong or just not have enough background in film and film processes to read between the lines, but here's what it says:

"Unlike some color reversal processes (such as Kodachrome K-14) that produce positive transparencies, E-6 processing can be performed by amateurs with the same equipment that is used for processing black and white negative film or C-41 color negative film.

Source: E-6 process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that you have misunderstood what that Wikipedia entry says: it says that the same equipment that amateurs use for B&W and C-41 can be used for E-6 processing. It does not say that E-6 film can be processed in C-41. or that the E-6 process can be carried out in a C-41 machine (amateurs don't normally use a machine to process their film).

E-6 process film can be processed in C-41, however, and you will get an unmasked colour negative usually at a different EI than would be obtained processing in E-6. It does not contaminate the chemicals, so there should be no problem doing it, but the decision should be up to the machine operator. As hollywoodpunk says, it is often possible to talk operators in to doing it, and some will be happy to do it for you - it has been done for decades.

Most reactions

Back