Cross processing Velvia 100 with c-41

hadgfeet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My local lab only processes c-41 but I have a few rolls of velvia, I haven't asked them if the would but I don't see why the wouldn't cross process. Has anyone else had any experience doing this?

Thanks!

Most consumer lab clerks used to refuse to cross process (if they noticed that is). I imagine it's because most consumers aren't sophisticated enough to ask for it on purpose, don't know what it means, didn't want it, and when their slides come back as film strips with a bunch of wonky prints they threaten to sue for ruining their pictures.

But I used to just put it in the c41 envelope (or put c41 in the E6 envelope), check the box, and not tell the clerk otherwise. the tech almost never noticed what the film really was (or maybe just read the instuctions and said... OK? and just did it). I think it came back once or twice unprocessed, in which case I went across the street and tried again. And once or twice it came back processed how the film would expect to be processed (ie the technician ignored the request on the envelope).

The pro labs, however, would do whatever I wanted.

Most consumer lab clerks used to refuse to cross process (if they noticed that is). I imagine it's because most consumers aren't sophisticated enough to ask for it on purpose, don't know what it means, didn't want it, and when their slides come back as film strips with a bunch of wonky prints they threaten to sue for ruining their pictures.

But I used to just put it in the c41 envelope (or put c41 in the E6 envelope), check the box, and not tell the clerk otherwise. the tech almost never noticed what the film really was (or maybe just read the instuctions and said... OK? and just did it). I think it came back once or twice unprocessed, in which case I went across the street and tried again. And once or twice it came back processed how the film would expect to be processed (ie the technician ignored the request on the envelope).

The pro labs, however, would do whatever I wanted.

Thanks! The local lab/shop are quite professional when I was asking about what they do they do the guy at the store did tell me, they don't process e-6 or black and white, I am going to try and develop my own B&W at home, I've processed my own 35mm ilford hp5 400 before but never 120, I've also heard it can be a bit tricky with the paper backing but I guess practice makes perfect! I feel like I've stumbled on a whole new world of photography with film. I'd love my own darkroom with an enlarger I loved using it at college but as I don't go anymore I am missing out on it :(

It's worth asking if it's a local lab, especially if you start establishing a relationship with them. I am lucky enough to have a local camera shop that's been in business since 1939 and is run/managed by film-lovin' folks. They've pushed film for me before. Haven't tried asking for cross-processing, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were willing to do it.

You're right - it's a whole new old world :)

Most labs won't do it, cross process does effect the chemicals slightly in a replenishment type C-41 processor. I use control stripes to monitor that and make corrections as needed so I can cross process at my lab.

If they don't do E6 or black & white processing, it sounds like they might be using the C41 machines, and will refuse to put a roll in there that doesn't explicitly say C41 on it. But it doesn't hurt to ask, I guess.

I asked and they said no :( bit of a bummer but oh well. I guess I'll have to find another way to get it developed, I am going to try and develop my own black and white film though, just need the equipment now

Most reactions

Back