crt to lcd

SBCANON

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 19inch crt monitor gave up today, I have to finally face the fact that I need a lcd monitor that I can calibrate. Does anyone have any suggestion that won't break the bank?

Look for a S-IPS display LCD since most LCD's are of the cheaper TN (twisted nematic) displays if you can afford it.

One of the HP models and most of the Apple Cinema's have S-IPS technology. It's a good deal cheaper but the color reproduction, accuracy, and viewing angle is superior to all the other LCD technologies.

Apple 20" Cinemas run about 800 the HP LP247BW 24" display on Amazon runs about $610 (hence if you can afford it). The S-IPS is about 2-3x in cost to a reasonable TN of similar build quality.

I have a Samsung TN type display right now and I'm miserable trying to edit photos such that what I see is really what will be reproduced. If you can afford it and you really do a lot of photo editing + proofing, I would invest in a S-IPS LCD display.

Buy something used for cheap, and save up for a real display - IPS panels have better color accuracy, higher resolution makes sure that you can a) see more photos tiled in preview and b) see more detail when blown up.

The big kahula is a 30 inch display with 2560x1600 resolution. These start at $1100 and free shipping, and the prices are going down all the time (few months ago, it was $200 more). Newegg.com - LG W3000H-Bn Black 30" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 370 cd/m2 3000:1 w/ 4 USB ports - LCD Monitors

Budget option is a 24" display. I personally use a BenQ FP241W which I bought a few summers ago, highly recommended if you can find one (since it's also got virtually every input on the planet except for DisplayPort, and I have a DP to HDMI converter for that). Otherwise, I see one for $600 although you might find a cheaper one: Newegg.com - HP LP2475w Black 24" 6 ms (GTG); 12ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 1000:1 w/ Height/Pivot/Swivel adjustments - LCD Monitors

Pantone Hueys help too. http://www.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=79&ca=2

I had to do the same thing recently. I just picked up the LG 22" it is actually nice for the price. I still miss my CRT though. Oh and the colors are great on it.

Hmm, seems like there are a few things to take into consideration, mostly the size you want and what budget you have

Lets face it we all want to recommend you the top of the line S-IPS screen with built in colour lookup tables, or the Apple cinema display which is so overpriced you may as well buy the former, but you're unlikely to get those for under $800ish

One member found a bargain late last year. A Dell Ultrasharp screen with an S-IPS panel. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ws/135652-dell-ultrasharp-2007fp-monitor.html The downside is that it's not widescreen. But definitely if photography is what you are using your computer for this one is least likely to break the bank and or government which bails em out.

I just found out that the Dell 22" 2209WA (not to be confused with their 2209WP that is a TN model) is an E-IPS display for only $300 + tax/shipping. The specs are 178deg view angle which seems to confirm this even though the Dell US website doesn't state the panel technology. Reviewers have called Dell sales reps and confirmed that is an IPS panel too.

For $300 I'm gonna take a gamble and just get it before Dell decides to swap out E-IPS back to the TN's without updating the specs. Worst case, I'll return it if I get a TN.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back