Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Has anyone ever worked on a cruise ship as a photographer? I've been offered a job on a cruise ship in the UK, but before I get into contract negotiations I thought I should know what's standard and what's not.

ie: base salary + commision percentage - what are the best/average arrangements & %'s and $'s
Flights to meet the ship etc, also what does a day in the life involve for a ship board photographer?

Anyway, if anyone here has done it before I'd love to hear your experiences.

I am kinda jealous!!!! :) I love Cruise Boats. Wow, a cruise and doing the work you love........perfect job in my opinion.

Sounds like a dream job to me if you can fit it into your life (single no kids or the spouse does not care) I agree with the people who ask how much do you have to pay them?.

I've known people who have worked on cruise ships, although not as photographer.

You really have to be cut out for that life. Even though the ships are huge, many people eventually feel quite trapped on them. I've heard that some of them don't let the employees off the boat during stops, because they are worried about them not coming back. Maybe as photographer, a skilled position, you would get more freedom than say, a bus boy or someone in housekeeping.

It might be a great job, plenty of fun and a way to meet lots of people...but be aware that if might not be the best job for you personally. Be wary of signing any sort of long term contract. Maybe try it for a couple weeks or months.

Thanks everyone.

That's the problem that I'm having trouble dealing with Mike, the contract length is 6 months. That's a really long time to be away from Adrian. :-( Although we have done it practically the entire time we've been togehter - we're always off galavanting around the country for 6 months here and there. But there are a lot of oceans between Australia and the UK.

And there are no days off - which is probably ok - because what else is there to do on a boat? And i think I'd be allowed off the boat to take photos of the people at all the places as well - that's what I've read on the net at least. but no mention of pay.

So no one knows how much they get paid? I would do it for the experience I guess. but I'm scared if it's all or a lot of it is commission based. meh - i guess we're not photographers because we want to be millionaires. hehehe.

Thanks everyone.

That's the problem that I'm having trouble dealing with Mike, the contract length is 6 months. That's a really long time to be away from Adrian. :-( Although we have done it practically the entire time we've been togehter - we're always off galavanting around the country for 6 months here and there. But there are a lot of oceans between Australia and the UK.

And there are no days off - which is probably ok - because what else is there to do on a boat? And i think I'd be allowed off the boat to take photos of the people at all the places as well - that's what I've read on the net at least. but no mention of pay.

So no one knows how much they get paid? I would do it for the experience I guess. but I'm scared if it's all or a lot of it is commission based. meh - i guess we're not photographers because we want to be millionaires. hehehe.

Wont they tell you the terms of the contract?

yeah - but i thought it'd be better if I went in knowing what's normal, so I don't get a shock.

I did that in my last job and realised a few months in to it, they'd completely ripped me off. ah well.

yeah, i would think you'd be let off the boat at stops, because when i went on a cruise a couple years ago, i remember there were photos that the ship's photographer had taken at the ports of people doing things in the towns and such, sounds like a fun job though, its kinda too bad you dont get ANY days off though, seems like that might get kind of stressful

few more questions to think about.

Is it going to be "Say Cheese" from dawn to dusk? If so, will you enjoy doing that for 6 months?
Will they supply you with the equipment (camera, lens, flash card, strobes, backups etc) needed?
Will you be given a workstation + pp software with ample memory/external hard drives?
What happens in case of cf card failure/image loss? Will you be protected in case you cannot retrieve the files? The Contract is supposed to protect you from these sort of 'unforeseen' events.

Make sure you do not skim through the Contract.

Thank you!!! I need lots of questions to ask like these. I'm sure there's something I'll forget like hmm... all of those questions above.

Thanks! Keep em coming.

Let me preface this by saying I have never even been on a cruise ship. I know nothing about them period.

That said, it might be one of those outside vender things. You contact to provide everything and the ship gets to sell the shots and pay you a percentage of the proceeds. I have contracted like that several times in my life.

Usually the big benefit goes to the contractor, since it is really their gig. They don't have any capitol expense involved. They may have to pay you a pitance to comply with the labor laws, if there are any. The pitance is just to protect them from being accused of slave labor. Too bad you can't find the guy who did it last.

All that aside, I would do it as long as I didn't have to put money out of my own pocket. Also if my wife wouldn't kill me before I boarded ship.

I always liked the idea of being paid what I was worth, and the product determining that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back