Cruise Ship Photography

I have been on a couple cruises over the last couple of years (one to Alaska and one to the Caribbean) and I would love the opportunity to be a photographer for a cruise ship talk about an experience.

However, I know for a fact that the photographer was allowed off at ports to take pictures of people, couples, whatever on the beach. Mostly, what I remember was before every dinner, and especially the formal ones they would have an elaborate posed set up in one of the grand atrium's with a piano or on the spiral stairs to get a a formal type shot. Then the next day you get to elbow your way through people to look and have the chance to purchase them.

One of the pictures my parents presently have sitting on their mantel is from Alaska the photog snapped a picture on the bow of the ship with a glacier in the background.

But all that being said I think it would be definitely a fun experience. Hope the day to day events as I remember it helps. I can't really say anything about the business end of it.

Hey there...

Now I have worked on ships for 3 years but not as a photog ( I was in the giftshop). While working in the photography department you will get some time off, but you do work very hard. In this department you do go around the ships to various activities and take pictures. Example being, while passengers are going to the main dinning lounge for dinner, you will take photos while they are entering (Say "Cheese") say posed up next to one of the entertainment dancers in a costume.

As far as I know they do supply all the equipment, and you do your developing on board, which means some late nights. During sea days the photogs will wander around the ship just taking pictures, and they usually get posted in the Gallery later on in the day where they can be purchased. So sometimes you will be off out shooting or you will be stuck in the lab developing. I have sent off some emails regarding the pay & commission, and I will post up the info once I get it.

When are you planning on leaving ????

Well, I went on a Disney Cruise, and one night they had a couple of different areas set up. One was a very regular studio type shot(i.e.sitting on white backdrop), and they had another with a set so the photo will look like the picture was taken from the other side of the railing on the top deck, if that makes any sense to you.

I think it would be a pretty sweet gig!

The recruitment guy says it usually takes 2 months to get all the paperwork through (ie: Visas and medicals) and just generally trying to synch up rosters - but they will try to have me on a ship by early July. Which is good because I've already bought a holiday in America in December - so I hope they'll let me have a slightly shorter contract. fingers crossed.

I've basically figured I'm going to do it anyway - even if they pay badly. Because like you've all said - it's an amazing experience and I'll learn heaps.

Good luck, sounds like a really fun experience!

very interesting article makes me wish I was forty years younger.

Okay so I am just going to post the info that I received from my source!!! (got back to me pretty quick I might add) Info was provided from a recent photog on the RCCL fleet but since it is a concessionaire should be the same across the board unless a certain cruise line does it in-house.

"
Hi Tim.

Salary is commission only - Minimum would be around $350/400 but this can increase quickly, and are also dependent on itinerary.

Hours are long on sea days, especially formal nights. Port time you do get time off if not on the gangway (time off is not as much as a shoppie though)

She would normally share a room with one other photog

She woud need her own digital camera equipment - Normally a canon 20D or better, or Nikon D70s or better, plus flash.

Contracts are around 8 months, but are flexible, and no set date is made.

Hope this helps.

Good luck tonight! You need luck though with the Sens 1-0 down as I'm writing this....

Rob "

Oh yeah... working on a cruiseship if you get a staff position is a great experience. Some jobs don't pay millions but the life experience & travel experience is unbeatable!

Good Luck!!

I've been following this thread for a little while. I don't have any experience to offer but I can say I've been on a few and wouldnt mind doing what I love in beautiful locations.

Hopefully it will be a very fun and nice experience. It will definitely give you the opportunity to meet some interesting people and network with some others. Who knows what one of those contacts could lead to.

Okay so my next contact got back to me with a fairly lengthy response. Here it is.

Quote"
Hi Tim,

Different companies will have different wages and privilages for their photogs than the company i was with 'The Ships Photographer' (based in Southampton and Sydney).

I was on 100% commission, and the team of 6 phtogs on the oriana were on a sliding scale... baby no.6 photog only got 1% of everything made during the cruise. P&O creamed 70% straight off the company to start with!!!

This worked out that as a baby tog u'd be looki ng at £200 to £250 for an average 2 week cruise with mean british pax on a mediteranian run. a no 3 photog would be on about £300-350 for the same cruise. As everyones wages came dwn directly to our sales there was a huge amount of pressure to always perform well - mistakes did not go down well with managers, although no-one was perfect, weak links were despised!!!

I'm not sure how diff companies compared overall... i def spoke to some princess photogs who were on lots less than us but had a bigger team and worked less hours... I suppose its getting a balance.

Hours ranged from 2 hours of safety duty to 17 hour Christmas Day slog! On average I think we did about 9-10 hours, so it was damn hard. Day for a tog is usually split into two between taking and selling the pics. On a port day photos first thing on quayside, then selling them while sailing in the eve. a sea day will be selling them all day and setting up portraits (if there isn't a permenant 'set' - usually isn't) Then glammed up in eve taking portraits and doing restaurant shoots. Printing is also a major part, and unless there is a specified videographer onboard, expect to be put on tours (good ones usually -and bonus...free!) to film for 'cruise diary' video/DVD for pax to buy. Can be annoying if you just want to hang out with your pals.

Apart from IPM, port days are usually fairly free. our managers used to set up 'gangway' shoots to coincide with drills... so you had to be onboard for duty anyway. IPM duty was split quite well.. team of 6 only one on at a time. that persn usually expected to do some work in the lab... i.e. printing, machine cleaning or even setting up a portrait, but not always.

Plenty of bartering power as a phtog... always useful.

Accom will usually be the same as shoppies.

Find out if you are provided with uniform and equipment - i had to buy my own cam and flash and batteries (Nikon F100 then a D100, with a CTmetz +batteries) but not my uniform.

Hope all that helps... any more questions.. fire away! Happy sailing (oh I miss it!)

Alice x "

End Quote

Thanks Tim! and please send thanks on to your little helpers. :)

That's the same company I'm going through - the ships photographer!! And the info basically sounds the same. Although I haven't heard back from them if I need to provide equipment. I don't want to have to do that.

It's great hearing a real 'day in the life of' from someone who's done it.

What's IPM duty stand for?

In Port Manning.... basically when the ships get into port they have to have a percentage of the crew on the ship for safety reasons. So depending on how many is on your team, it might only be 1 or 2 that must stay on board. This duty will be rotated throughout the staff. Just by reading the replys from those 2, I think you will need your own equipment, but double check with the recruiter first. Eitherway it will be an awesome experience and will take you all over the world if you want. I can't even name all of the places that I have been to. But one thing that I love is being from CAnada, and have visited Austrailia and New Zealand! ! ! That was a dream come true, and I want to go back!

Anyway enough rambling... hope you do end up making the decision to go... I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Tim

P.S. I already passed on the thanks to my contacts!

Sounds like such an amazing experience. I would love to do something like that and I can only hope one day I will have that opportunity. Good luck and have fun if you do decide to do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back