CRYSTAL clear eyes!

i guess i could sharpen them up in pp but I want them awesome BEFORE pp!
I think that's fairly unrealistic. Good post processing technique is a necessary step in digital imaging to get the very best quality (awesome) photos. I agree with Derrel:

I think the overall degree of contrast is just a bit low...the second photo for example...I can see in the expanded section that her eyes DO have nice catchlights in them. To get the whole image to "Pop!", you will need to increase the contrast of the image a little bit. Not sure what software you have available to you, but there are multiple ways to enhance contrast: using the old-school and totally awesome "curves" adjustment; the 'clarity' slider; the brightness/contrast sliders [usually not the best way to go but...any pot in a storm...].

MOST digital SLR cameras at default settings tend to produce somewhat "flat", slightly low-contrast images, which can then easily be "goosed" or "boosted" or "juiced" in post-processing software. Perhaps that's what's going on here?
Also, I'd stop it down more, as someone else suggested, getting closer to f/8-f/11.

I think that's fairly unrealistic. Good post processing technique is a necessary step in digital imaging to get the very best quality (awesome) photos. I agree with Derrel:

I think the overall degree of contrast is just a bit low...the second photo for example...I can see in the expanded section that her eyes DO have nice catchlights in them. To get the whole image to "Pop!", you will need to increase the contrast of the image a little bit. Not sure what software you have available to you, but there are multiple ways to enhance contrast: using the old-school and totally awesome "curves" adjustment; the 'clarity' slider; the brightness/contrast sliders [usually not the best way to go but...any pot in a storm...].

MOST digital SLR cameras at default settings tend to produce somewhat "flat", slightly low-contrast images, which can then easily be "goosed" or "boosted" or "juiced" in post-processing software. Perhaps that's what's going on here?
Also, I'd stop it down more, as someone else suggested, getting closer to f/8-f/11.

A quick question. Are you shooting RAW? If so, you NEED to apply sharpening in post because it was not done by the cameras JPEG engine.

Are you sure you don't have a camera or lens focus issue? To me, it looks as if the face on these shots is slightly out of focus. I had a similar problem (similarly looking photos) when I bought and started shooting with my 35mm prime lens. You can likely find my frustrations floating around this forum regarding similar issues. Turns out the lens was back focusing quite a bit. Luckily, my d7000 has an AF fine tune option which allowed me to calibrate the lens with the camera and immediately I noticed a huge improvement. There are charts available on the net which you can print and use to calibrate your camera and your lenses. They solved the problem for me. Good luck!

She posted the second photo from page 1 in another thread, here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/324931-my-girl.html

I downloaded that image and it was in GOOD focus...but needed only very,very slight boosts of saturation and contrast, and a tiny tweak on the color tint to make is just "POP!", while at the same time, appearing reasonably realistic and true-to-life, and not all fakey and eye-candy-like. Once the contrast was elevated just a bit, the catchlights that were in the eyes immediately became more prominent, and a first-rate portrait emerged. I simply moved the clarity slider like 7 points upward to build contrast, and moved the saturation slider about the same amount, just to give more, well...saturation to the colors. I added Matt's edge Darkening #1 (Light) and BOOM! great eyes, lovely hair, good skintone, pleasing all around look!

You rock Derrel. I've said it before and I'll say it again I always LOVE your feedback on mine and anyone elses work. :)

I am NOT a fan of over edited eyes "fakey and eye-candy like"... I think with the suggestions that have been made I have got them looking pretty good in the 'my girl' portrait. :)

Napalm, I'm off to research calibration! THank you all for your ideas and suggestions!!

Yep I am shooting raw, interesting to know! :) THanks

A quick question. Are you shooting RAW? If so, you NEED to apply sharpening in post because it was not done by the cameras JPEG engine.

back-focusing...this could be very well whats going on.... Last night I was taking pics of hubby and placing the focus point directly on his eye but when I looked back the focus 'seemed' to be constantly JUST to the right, on his side burn!.... interesting! I better not have a bung lens/camera!

back-focusing...this could be very well whats going on.... Last night I was taking pics of hubby and placing the focus point directly on his eye but when I looked back the focus 'seemed' to be constantly JUST to the right, on his side burn!.... interesting! I better not have a bung lens/camera!

Almost none of my lenses focus perfectly on my D90.

That is the best thing about having a camera body with micro-Af adjustments.

Most reactions

Back