CS4 vs. Lightroom 2? Help Please

I agree, with the comment that you need both, lightroom does a great job of cataloguing, and tracking images, and basic corrections and cropping. And does it non destructively. It really depends on your needs, if you're new to digital imaging, and just bought a dslr, I'd go with lightroom. And when you outgrow the correction tools in lightroom, look to get Photoshop.

Can I still get the discount if I am in HS?

You should be able to. I picked up an educational copy of CS2 at a computer store, you should just need proof you are a student. You may even be able to order online.

Adobe.com Site Requirements

Does your high school computer lab have photoshop?
Yes we use macs at my school though but they have cs3 on all the computers.
So I can just go to any store that sells cs4 and purchase like computer city or maybe best buy and get the discount? thanks for you time.

I've used both of these programs extensively in a professional setting, and here's my opinion; CS4 is for the perfection of an individual image, or slowly batching images with very specific settings. It seconds as a graphics program, which also comes in handy. Lightroom is more limited in its editing scope but is more focused on handling thousands of images efficiently. It will batch out numbers of images much faster than you can with CS4 and Bridge. My workflow involved the basic editing of images in lightroom (exposure, color correction, contrast, etc.), as well as the conversion to Jpeg and cataloging. The images would then have actions applied in CS3/4 as needed for black and whites, etc.

It is true that they both serve different needs. If you are only concerned with the basics, such as exposure and color, and you work with a lot of images at a time, then Lightroom may be for you. And lightroom, along with presets, can render some awesome black and whites and a few other special effects. Photoshop on the other hand will be more painstaking if you have to deal with numerous images, but you can end up with much more dramatic results in terms of post processing (HDR, Pano-stitching, Composites and very dramatic color and special effects). Though, Lightroom 2 added much of this capability with brushes and such.

Like others have said, they are meant to go together in your workflow. If I had to pick one, it would be Photoshop because it comes with bridge which can serve some of the functionality of Lightroom's database and thumbnail editing.

Can I still get the discount if I am in HS?

Yes.

I have both LR2 and CS4. I've been using Photoshop for sometime and just recently upgraded from CS2 to CS4 and decided to buy LR2 at the same time (I have the educational discount as I am faculty). I am just now starting to teach myself LR. I wish I'd done that some time ago ... this looks like it's going to be an great way to keep track of my images.

I saw that discount. How exactly does it work and how do I prove I'm a student to get it for that price?
If you go to www.adobe.com and then click on "Store" then on the right click on "Education Store" the next screen will give you a couple of choices that will explain what Adobe requires to get the discount.

Actually, you can get CS4 Extended for $199.95 and Lightroom for $99.

I saw that discount. How exactly does it work and how do I prove I'm a student to get it for that price?
If you go to www.adobe.com and then click on "Store" then on the right click on "Education Store" the next screen will give you a couple of choices that will explain what Adobe requires to get the discount.

Actually, you can get CS4 Extended for $199.95 and Lightroom for $99.
The 199 price is for higher education students only not k-12 for k-12 its still 299.

So if I just want a simple program to edit my photos and make them look better LR2 would probably be my best bet? But if I want to be able to do anything and everything but with more difficulty then Cs4 would be my choice? Is that about right?

Whenever I see these threads I feel bad...I have all the programs.

:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

haha I envy you lol
For quick,effective editing which would you choose if you had to?

haha I envy you lol

To answer this question specifically, Lightroom. I actually use Lightroom far more than Photoshop, and the only time I use photoshop is if it's something really complex and complicated. Although some here have said LR is an incomplete editing program, it can do A LOT! With all the awesome presets you can get for lightroom, it's pretty amazing. If you check out my Flickr, most shots were edited in lightroom only. If you have any questions about particular ones, ask. But I would say start with lightroom, and learn it well. If you find you need more control later on, then get CS4. I feel they are best utilized as a team. I usually start with LR, then sometimes i'll 'edit in PS' to get additional effects.

TJ K: I hope you don't mind, but I took a photo from your Flickr and spent about three minutes with it in LR just to show you a little bit of it's abilities. Keep in mind if you shot on RAW it will be far better, as this was straight from the JPEG image you had online.

3892887197_bf1258553d_o.jpg

haha I envy you lol

To answer this question specifically, Lightroom. I actually use Lightroom far more than Photoshop, and the only time I use photoshop is if it's something really complex and complicated. Although some here have said LR is an incomplete editing program, it can do A LOT! With all the awesome presets you can get for lightroom, it's pretty amazing. If you check out my Flickr, most shots were edited in lightroom only. If you have any questions about particular ones, ask. But I would say start with lightroom, and learn it well. If you find you need more control later on, then get CS4. I feel they are best utilized as a team. I usually start with LR, then sometimes i'll 'edit in PS' to get additional effects.

TJ K: I hope you don't mind, but I took a photo from your Flickr and spent about three minutes with it in LR just to show you a little bit of it's abilities. Keep in mind if you shot on RAW it will be far better, as this was straight from the JPEG image you had online.

3892887197_bf1258553d_o.jpg
I don't mind at all. Thank you very much for helping me out and providing assistance. I think I am going to go with LR for now and maybe later down the line if I feel as if it's just not enough I will go to cs whatever it may be. I really appreciate someone taking the time out to give a nice friendly and detailed response.
-TJ

Most reactions

Back