CS5

jbzbm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my editing software. I have been using Elements for 3 years now and have outgrown it. Can anyone tell me if this download is an actual full version of CS5 (see the link posted belw)? I can't afford CS6 at the moment but would really like to begin learning the more advanced versions of PS. The website is a bit vague so I'm hoping someone here will know....the more I "google" for information, the more confused I get! I'm also open to suggestions! Thank you!

Photoshop CS5 Full Retail Download for Windows

Check around at some of the online retailers. There has been a special at a number of places lately where CS6 was available for $250. It's normally an unadvertised 1-day sale and most of them run out quickly. I got it from Midwest Photo Exchange but Adorama and B&H have also offered it. You'll just have to hunt around for who may have it on any given day, but it is floating around.

Reseller ratings is a good website to check the validity of online retailers
eValueSoftware.com Reviews - evaluesoftware.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

it is only made up of user submissions though so you do have to read through the votes and views to ensure that its not just got a high vote because of a spate of spam comments. However the rating for that site appears quite high and thus its likely legit.

Thank you for the reply (and I apologize if I've posted in the wrong forum...I'm brand new to this site and wasn't sure where to go. I wanted a pro opinion) :) Can you recommend a specific version? When I search CS6 on various retail websites, it pulls up multiple options for purchase. I'm just not sure what I need. I'm running Windows 7. Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.

I don't know either, really. The one I got on sale was $689.95 normally and I think it was called "CS6 Extended" but I'm not sure. Adobe seems to enjoy making everything they do difficult to understand, and CS6 with all the various versions is no exception.

Last edited:
What does student edition/extended mean?

...and it will work just the same as the regualr version? It's an actual full version? Not an upgrade?

...and it will work just the same as the regualr version? It's an actual full version? Not an upgrade?

It is a full version as far as I know. Nothing disabled or anything. Details are Here. There is a link at the top right of the page entitled "Am I Eligible" that shows the eligibility requirements.

It's the full version, no limitations in the software nor the contract at all. It works 100% as normal.

However you can't upgrade it to a new version. Adobe offer marked discounts if you own a previous version of the software and then let you more cheaply upgrade to it, but the Student edition will offer no such bonuses at all. Note also that the whole "cheaper if you own the previous version" upgrade deal is under revision by Adobe and is somewhat being reduced in effect for the next CS edition.

Also note Adobe (and independent retailers) will happily sell you a student edition of Photoshop - however when its the installing stage it will ask for the serial code which you can only get from Adobe direct and which you can only get if you submit to them proof of your status as a student (details of which will be on their website for your respective country). Unlike a commercial release of Photoshop there is no serial code in the box itself.

Gotcha :) Thanks for the info...I'm a student...so I think I'll go with this option (CS6 Extended), as it's much more reasonable than going with the discontinued CS5.

Gotcha :) Thanks for the info...I'm a student...so I think I'll go with this option (CS6 Extended), as it's much more reasonable than going with the discontinued CS5.

Absolutely! If you can get the student discount then by all means do so. I'm not a big Adobe fan, and basically just got CS6 because it was too good a deal to pass up, but from what I've heard others say the differences between CS6 and CS5 are extensive. It is apparently a huge improvement over previous versions so you certainly should enjoy it.

The Extended version has more capabilities like for video, 3-D, medical and scientific used. Full retail of the Extended version is $999. Adobe gives students a 75% discount.
There is no Student Edition of CS 6. Adobe only offers a Student Edition of the Extended version.

The EULA for Student Editions is a little different than the EULA for the full retail versions. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...ransfer_policy.

I don't think what SCraig bought was the Extended version if full retail was $689 since that is the price of the regular version of CS 6.

I have CS5 and don't see enough reason for upgrading to CS6 at this time.

Last edited:
The Extended version has more capabilities like for video, 3-D, medical and scientific used. Full retail of the Extended version is $999. Adobe gives students a 75% discount.
There is no Student Edition of CS 6. Adobe only offer s Student Edition of the Extended version.

The EULA for Student Editions is a little different than the EULA for the full retail versions. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...ransfer_policy.

I don't think what SCraig bought was the Extended version if full retail was $689 since that is the price of the regular version of CS 6.

I have CS5 and don't see enough reason for upgrading to CS6 at this time.

You could certainly be right KmH. Somewhere during this process I saw the word "Extended" or thought I did or dreamed it or something ;) At any rate, it doesn't say "Extended" on the box or the invoice or the About dialog so I was probably wrong. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Most reactions

Back