Cuban Treefrog Shots and Facts. Before euthanizing it

CAP

FPS GRU
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i was doing some cleaning around the house and ran to this guy outside. I have encountered these frogs before just never snapped a photo of one. So i snapped some great shots before i had to euthanize it.

I thought this would be a good place to provide some information on the frog.

Cuban treefrogs are voracious eaters -- and unfortunately they eat Florida's native frogs, toads, and lizards, in addition to insects and spiders. In fact, Cuban treefrogs are SO successful at taking over habitat and eating Florida's native species that they are considered an invasive exotic (non-native) species -- they are a threat to the biodiversity of Florida's native ecosystems and wildlife.

[h=3]A humane method for euthanizing amphibians:[/h]To euthanize a Cuban Treefrog, hold the frog firmly in your hand and apply a 1 inch bead of benzocaine ointment along the back of the frog. Benzocaine ointment is a topical anesthetic (a numbing agent) used to treat skin pain (e.g., from sunburn) and itching as well as toothaches and sore throats. There are a variety of name brand and generic versions that are available over-the-counter in a tube or spray. If you are able to, using a gloved finger spread the ointment out on the frog's back. Alternatively, you could use a benzocaine spray. Once the ointment or spray is applied, place the frog in a plastic grocery bag or a sealable sandwich bag for 15-20 minutes so that the benzocaine has a chance to render the frog unconscious (be sure to seal the bag or tie it closed). After the bezocaine has anesthetized the frog, place the bag in a freezer overnight to ensure that the frog is dead and then throw it out in your trash. If you are unable to apply benzocaine to the frog, you can simply put it in a plastic bag, seal or tie the bag shut, then place it in the freezer overnight--dispose of the bag and the frog in the trash the next day. Do not throw a bagged frog into the trash without euthanizing it first. Remember, Cuban Treefrogs have a noxious skin secretion so be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after you handle the frog, even if you wear gloves or use a plastic bag.
Freezing is a humane way to kill amphibians because their bodies go into a state of torpor (metabolism slows way down) -- just as they do in cold weather outside. If the cold weather is short in duration, the frogs will come out of their torpor state. However, after an extended time in freezing temperatures, the frogs die.
A good test to determine if a frog is a Cuban treefrog is to grasp the frog firmly, but gently, and try to move the skin around on the top of the frog's head with your fingertip. The skin on the head of a Cuban treefrog is fused to the top of the skull and won't move.
Be sure to wash your hands after handling any frog or toad. They all secrete a slimy film to protect their skin, but the secretions of some species, like the Cuban treefrog, can irritate the skin and eyes of some people.
If you want to read to official article at University OF Florida Web Site Link :
Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS

10509555_739363352802625_5312609855021485415_n.jpg

10590498_739363686135925_8879612412777924575_n.jpg

10565113_739363672802593_5405221406043694000_n.jpg

[h=3]\[/h]
Hope you like them injoy

Wow..seems a bit extreme.. couldn't you have just deported him back to Cuba?

Lol

Nice pics though.

LMAO but would be funny to deport them.

I am friends with professor that wrote the article and these frogs are bad news, But they make for great pictures.

Yeah, good shots of the little buggers. I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as a Cuban tree frog in the USA. Now I know!

Yeah, good shots of the little buggers. I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as a Cuban tree frog in the USA. Now I know!

And knowing is half the battle. Ok, so where going to need guns.. lots of really big guns. A snot load of ammo - and some camo. Don't want the little buggers to see us coming and mass for a counter attack.

Hmm.. anybody got a fast patrol boat? Also, anyone know if you can eat cuban tree frog legs? We need a chef.. stat!

Lol

Most reactions

Back