CULLING

Jade16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the best and fastest culling program for photographers? Any good free ones out there? Also, what is your method for culling? I feel like culling takes me longer than it should. Thanks!

I'm not aware of any program that will do this automatically. You just have to be ruthless in discarding the bad ones.

What i mean is ....
I'm not aware of any program that will do this automatically. You just have to be ruthless in discarding the bad ones.

i just use windows or picasso now, but i would like to use a program that loads the photos more quickly so culling doesn't take as long.

Use Lightroom: rate (and process) the keepers; select and delete the rest.

Lightroom. I view 4 frames at a time, mark the one's that jump out as good. Can go through 300+ frames in 30 minutes or so. Then I'll go through again at 4 frames a time and discard redundants.

Any. It's not the software that makes it faster or slower, it's your method. Try new methods.

What is the best and fastest culling program for photographers? Any good free ones out there? Also, what is your method for culling? I feel like culling takes me longer than it should. Thanks!

About | FastRawViewer

Joe

Photomechanic is bizarrely fast - altho not free.
Try Photo Mechanic for Free | Camera Bits, Inc.

It may be that your workflow is awkward.
If I come home with anywhere from 30-3000 shots, I do the same process in LR

Import all
View in Library Grid mode
Select all
Set stars to 2
Set filter to two stars or more.
upload_2016-10-22_14-50-59.png

Then I page through them and click on 1 for throways or 3 for to be edited.
(when I mark a picture as 1, it disappears from the grid view)
After I go though them all, I set filter =1 and review those to be culled.
Once I'm happy, still in Library Grid mode, I select all and press delete, the D for delete from disk.

Try Photo Mechanic for Free | Camera Bits, Inc.

Want to speed it up? Any program for viewing, cull first process whats left. If it takes you more than 1 second to decide if you want it or not, keep it. It should be this fast. NSFW

Long time user of Photo Mechanic. It is a great program for sifting through photos quickly. It took culling several thousand photos from a wedding from several hours to about an hour. Worth every penny when you take the time savings into account. But if you're not able to make snap judgements about your photography, then it doesn't help much.

Long time user of Photo Mechanic. It is a great program for sifting through photos quickly. It took culling several thousand photos from a wedding from several hours to about an hour. Worth every penny when you take the time savings into account. But if you're not able to make snap judgements about your photography, then it doesn't help much.

Do you swap photos back and forth to Lightroom. I read the process and that seemed to cumbersome for me to do but does it work better than it reads?

Do you swap photos back and forth to Lightroom. I read the process and that seemed to cumbersome for me to do but does it work better than it reads?

1. My process is to come home and dump images into folder on HD.
2. open the folder in Photo Mechanic
3. sift through the images and cull by 5 starring my picks
4. when done I put those into a new folder
-----done with photo mechanic---------
5. open in LR to edit

I'm finding Bridge to be useful the more I learn how to use it. Having the ability to go full screen on a thumbnail with a tap of the space bar is great, plus the file management features.

I'm finding Bridge to be useful the more I learn how to use it. Having the ability to go full screen on a thumbnail with a tap of the space bar is great, plus the file management features.

After reading this comment, I went back to look for reviews and comparisons to see if I should add anything to the way I work.

And found these astoundingly on-point reviews. (altho Bridge isn't mentioned in the title, it is compared to Photomechanic in the first two articles.)

Software Review: Camera Bits Photo Mechanic 5 | PDN Online
Software Review: Photo Mechanic - Photography Concentrate
How to Use Photo Mechanic to Speed Up Lightroom Culling

Smoke665, thanks for bringing up Adobe Bridge.

Most reactions

Back