Curious about Kodachrome 200...

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How similar is it to Kodachrome 64? Good for (relative) available light color slide photography? How does it compare to Provia 400?

I would say that Kodachrome 64 has a thicker emulsion. Kodachrome 200 benefits from the improved resolution of the Kodak Gold print films. Provia has good contrast but less colour saturation.

Just my view.

skieur

I also believe that KD200 is discontinued...

As of pretty recently indeed. I'm waiting for it to expire before I stock up, since I've already got my brick of KC25, and 64 abounds.

Provia is pretty different from kodachrome. The joy of working with KC is the consistency of its feel. Provia 400 on the other hand, can be manipulated a number of ways to increase or decrease contrast and saturation. There are times when colors pop w/ provia as much as velvia, and times that it looks very natural, even w/ regard to skin tones. Provia 400 can also be pushed and pulled between 100 and 800, whereas I wouldn't try it with KC.

Nope :)

And i'll be updating my "Collecting Old Film" thread soon with some new black and white freezer-kept goodies.

Nope, but I may be able to find some.

I've shot a bit of KL200 and the increased grain leaves something to be desired to me. For a scene that works with that, it's probably fine but I definitely prefer KR64.

Dave

Most reactions

Back