Curious if anyone else likes to explore abandoned places?

I'd love to, unfortunately here on the Wet Coast, land is so valuable that NOTHING sits abanonded long enough to explore! :(
But you have great mountains close by. You can always find some abandoned valley filled up with grizzlies wanting nice portraits. :lmao:

I do like to shoot abandoned places.

There are two types of abandoned places imo.

The places where nothing has left, no energy or any kind of sign that a life were happening there. And the other type of abandoned places, when in the moment you enter there you can feel something, you can imagine how it was before. Those places I like.

I love these kind of images buy generally stay away because of trespassing and safety issues.

Whatever you do don't wait. I put off going to a great landmark. The coal Commissary. The place the coal miners would trade their script for food and cloths. Here's what I found, a year before it was pretty much intact.

I absolutely LOVE urbex. Here in Atlanta, there are literally hundreds of abandoned buildings (train depots, metal shops, houses, schools, hospitals, prisons, etc) just waiting to be explored. When I first started urbexing, I often modeled for my friends who were photographers when they had a photo assignment. We often explored abandoned buildings, but now that I'm taking B&W Film Photography, I'm always looking for new places in Atlanta to explore for photos. If you're in the Atlanta area and are into urbex, hit me up:D

Only thing is, like people have already stated, it does have its risks. The best thing to do is to be street smart... I never explore any abandoned places, no matter how awesome it is, in too sketchy of an area or past 8PM. I've never run into any other urbexers when exploring, but I've also never run into any druggies, homeless, cops, or animals (besides birds) for that matter. Guess I'm lucky!

I love old abandoned places. The trespassing charges are what keeps me away (don't want to lose my CHP). Yes, there is also the danger of weakened construction but that is low on my list of concerns. It's probably a good idea to get something like a SPOT if you do this a lot. That way you have a backup to call for help if you're in a spot with out cell phone service.

When I was younger there was this one old farmhouse that a friend and I used to go into, had some old furniture and a detached garage that was stuffed with junk and an OLD washing machine. What was so weird about it was that while there were holes in the walls (from vandals) and everything looked like it had been abandoned back in the 40-50's the floors in the main part of the house looked brand new with really nice plush carpeting that was in excellent condition.

I used to explore abandoned places before but that was before I got into photography so I don't have any shots. But now that I'm into photography, there's really nothing abandoned in my area. :thumbdown: Cool stuff though!

They are very cool images, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat.

Also, I wouldn't go in any building without the owner's permission. It can be gotten. My husband works for a property developer and their insurance costs are astronomical as it is. They own a couple of large historical buildings in the process of renovation, and break ins are common. If you get hurt while you're there, it'll be them that pays the bill, through even higher insurance premiums and law suits. They spend a fortune on security and perimeter maintenance, but people keep breaking in. Start fires, steal equipment, etc. Not saying that urbex photographers would do those things - but the security guard won't care who you are.

Most reactions

Back