Curse it all!!!

Technically, without the heatsinks, you could fry and egg on it; the CPU and GPU on MBP's regularly run at close to 100ºC (with the sinks). Sure, it would be slow frying, but it'd work. (Normally, when relatively idle, my MBP is at these temps, in ºC: CPU 65º - 70º, HD 40º, Airport Card 40º, Enclosure Base 35º, GPU Diode 75º, GPU Heatsink 60º, Heatsink A 60º, Heatsink B 50º, Fans at 2000RPM.) Get yourself iStat Pro and check your temps. If they're way hotter than the above, you should probably take it in.

If your display ever gets corrupted and your computer stops working completely, that means the fail safe switch on either the GPU or CPU was triggered because of critical overheating and it shut-down. (You can't actually fry the chips with those fail safes in place, because the chip will shut itself off immediately at a certain temp, before any serious damage can occur.)

Oh, and the power adaptor puts out a moderate amount of heat itself. You could try moving the adaptor away, but I doubt that'll solve your problem. Lastly, it could just be lots of dust; harder to clean on an MBP than a desktop computer, but you could try blasting the back opening where the fans are with a compressed gas duster. Falcon Air Duster's are pretty good for that kind of, just follow the safety precautions. ;)

According to istatpro mine seems to be running at the same temps as yours, so i don't know why it's gone hotter than normal.

I did notice it says my battery is 46% Health with 145 cycle, which doesn't sound good to me

46% health means that the battery is past half-capacity. Meaning it can only hold approximately 46% of it's original capacity at full-charge. Definitely not very good, so you may want to consider ordering a new battery and using that one as a backup.

For more detailed battery information, they're a program called coconutBattery that you can use to find-out exactly what the original capacity was and what it is now. In your case, the battery likely had an original (theoretical; never how the battery arrives in the box) capacity of 5600 mAh and is now around 2576 mAh .

Why don't you get a PC desktop for your games? It would have a lot more power than your laptop:thumbup:. Plus the same games cost cheaper.

Where do you have you laptop when you play your games and things? If you have it where it can't get proper airflow, it will crap out again on you. Laptops by nature have poor air flow anyways though.

I don't buy a Windows machine because I hate the OS with a passion. I've spent way to much of my life fixing all the issues that cropped up from Windows' various design flaws (to say nothing of my time spent fixing the registry). In terms of hardware, this laptop easily compares to most higher-end laptops that will only run Windows. (I dual-boot to Windows.)

And naturally it's in a nice spot with good airflow, underneath and out the back. And I usually throw an ice-pack under it to dissipate heat faster too. ;)

Well I wouldn't use a windows laptop for games either, i'm more of a desktop person for games:D, I like easy upgrade ability. Thats good you keep your laptop cool, some people aren't always conscious of that I don't think.

Most reactions

Back