Curse Ya for Breeding Adobe

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just purchased CC for 12 months prepaid, Pre my purchase I attempted to eliminate potential problems such as I had a 30 day trial and yes i had the trial more the once, separete Adobe ID's I was also unable to remove the trial CC entirely from my computer. So I contacted Adobe live support and I was assured that all issues were solved...

So I went ahead and payed. Having removed the (trial) CC with the help of live Chat I assumed everything would go swimmingly so having downloaded CC after purchase I found that it doesn't register that i have upgraded.

Now I'm stuck in limbo land and customer services has no idea whats wrong. The live chat seems more like a 19th century morse service

I hate live chat services, no matter the company. They can never help as well as a phone call. Any luck trying to call them?

I have just purchased CC for 12 months prepaid, Pre my purchase I attempted to eliminate potential problems such as I had a 30 day trial and yes i had the trial more the once, separete Adobe ID's I was also unable to remove the trial CC entirely from my computer. So I contacted Adobe live support and I was assured that all issues were solved...

So I went ahead and payed. Having removed the (trial) CC with the help of live Chat I assumed everything would go swimmingly so having downloaded CC after purchase I found that it doesn't register that i have upgraded.

Now I'm stuck in limbo land and customer services has no idea whats wrong. The live chat seems more like a 19th century morse service

makes me want to stay with CS5

How familiar are you with the 'innards' of Windows?

I'm fortunate enough to be able to build, fix, and clean up computers that are 'hopeless'. The problem these days is that NONE, and I do mean NONE, of the software vendors out there perform a 'complete' clean up when removing their software from your computer via normal means, such as the "programs and features" screen in the control panel of Windows.

=IF= you are comfortable deleting the contents of folders and even complete folders, AND know all the hidden folders that Adobe products use such as Users/<your ID>/AppDta/Local/Adobe, AND, if you have several Adobe products, know which folders within THAT one to delete, then have at it. And =IF= you really feel lucky, carefully extricate Adobe from your registry. Of course, have a FULL BACKUP of the drive that controls Windows. It's very possible to screw things up enough that the computer won't boot! Knowing how to restore from a previous version of the registry can be very helpful!

These days, software authors seem to have little idea of the hundreds, even thousands of entries they create in the registry for a single product. I recently tried to update the device driver for my video card and what should have been an uncompressed 1-2K file was a 488Meg exe file that expanded into 4GIG of space on my SSD! These days, giving the user =options= of selectively installing products gets more rare every day. The same 'device driver plus' wasn't even 'nice' enough to show up in the 'programs and features' screen, when it installed 4 different products and 24 different language files! Even with automated registry cleanup software, it still took me more than 3 hours of 'fixing' to get rid of the useless trash. I just installed a new name-brand scanner today, and it wasn't even 'polite enough' to offer -any- installation options! One can only click on 'agree' to the license and away it goes! I haven't even begun to find out how much useless garbage it put on my computer.

Then there's the 'free software' for <whatever> that will install various added toolbars, security software, advertising software, even anti-virus software if you choose the 'standard' installation they offer. They'll even replace your internet browser and search engine if you let them! All with your implied permission by choosing 'standard installation'. How user friendly can they get? In short, the reason the once super-fast computer has slowed down is all the 'free garbage' that comes along with something useful.

As a suggestion, perhaps the Adobe chat rep can do a remote-control of your computer and do some judicious 'cleaning' to allow a clean installation of the paid software to operate. Believe it or not, it could also be something as simple as modifying a single parameter in the registry...IF the rep really knows his stuff!

^This.

I keep a 1TB hard drive up on the shelf that has ONLY my operating system and what I consider my essential core programs on it - fresh installs all, and never used.

When my machine feels like it's slowing down, taking longer to boot up, etc., I know the registry is all clogged up again with junk that's been installed and / or uninstalled / deleted over time. When that happens, I pull out the current operating drive, plug in the one off the shelf, boot it up, then use it to clone that clean fresh install onto the clogged one, overwriting the whole thing, then up on the shelf it goes, ready for the next time I need a fresh install of my operating system and core programs again.

It WAY beats re-installing everything from scratch when it comes time.

I'm with the others on having an Adobe tech log into your machine and let him / her work it out. I've got a pretty extensive background (including computer tech school) and experience, but when things get wonky, I call on a representative tech who specializes in dealing with the problem software to log in, and let them do their thing. So far, that seems to always work well for me.

Well I was just reading back my thread and the grammar & punctation is terrible, that fitting a rant, but anyway the problem is solved mostly, by myself although I have a feeling the can has been kicked somehow. If I had this running on windows I could probably have avoided it but I'm now on Mac and I'm still a bit humdy hawdy about doing things.

I most now go a get an external ssd drive rather then fill up my Mac, I was putting this off by doing no editing.

I think overall I created the problems myself by trying to get PS & LR using an oven glove.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back