Custom Computer?

Thanks Nic. I haven't done anything to the OS to trick it into seeing 3.25gigs. That's what it saw upon installation. I think I'll just look into getting a 64bit version. I hate spending a fortune on the OS, but if it will increase my speed pipeline, then I'm all for it.

My PC

Core 2 Duo e6420 2.14 OC'd to 3.2ghz
2GB Ram 667mhz (OCZ Gold Gamers)
Evga 8800gts 640mb
Asus P5N-E-SLI
320gb SATA Seagate HD (Needs Upgrading)
WinXP SP2

Runs Photoshop CS3 excellent (Runs everything in CS3 Masters collection perfectly)

I slightly remember there being a way to trick XP 32bit into seeing all 4gb...because it is supposed to be able to...I think if you do a Google search you'd find something. There are some commands that you have to do in the CMD and it should recognize all 4. Biggest thing about moving to 64bit is making sure your hardware will work. I know my wireless card (DLink) would not work no matter what I did...I eventually bought a new one. The new one is a linksys and I couldn't even use linksys drivers...I had to get the chipset maker's drivers (broadcom I believe). Everything else works great though.

Also, I checked out your website...Your images are stunning. I really like them. I wish I lived near a huge lake/ocean like you do. That would be awesome. Great portrait/promotional shots as well.

Ya all that is why I went with a Mac I just do not have the patience or time to try and get my computer to work so I just bought one that does :D

Ya all that is why I went with a Mac I just do not have the patience or time to try and get my computer to work so I just bought one that does :D

And you paid 4x as much. Now, let's not turn this into a Mac/Pc debate. The thread is about custom computers.

Macs are good and all, but I know too much about PC's and how to get them to run just the way I want to let myself go to a Mac. If I was just starting out never had a computer before, I would definately consider a Mac. Unfortunately, if I didn't work with PC's, I wouldn't have a job right now. 99% of businesses use PC's...and I hope it stays that way for my sake :)

Macs are good and all, but I know too much about PC's and how to get them to run just the way I want to let myself go to a Mac. If I was just starting out never had a computer before, I would definately consider a Mac. Unfortunately, if I didn't work with PC's, I wouldn't have a job right now. 99% of businesses use PC's...and I hope it stays that way for my sake :)

More and more businesses are buying macs, you might have to learn them.

And you paid 4x as much. Now, let's not turn this into a Mac/Pc debate. The thread is about custom computers.

It is no debate I know a mechanic can buy a used car that is in ruff shape and take it on a trip. If that car brakes down on him he has the ability and the tools to fix that car.
I on the other hand I only want to carry tools to take pictures and things I need for my trip so if my car brakes down I would have the expense of lost time, a tow truck, and a mechanic so for me a car like that is out of the question it would cost me more.
I seen my pc as the same way before I got my Macs I was having to load them with more tools and always doing maintenance to keep them running. That just did not feel right for me to pay a few thousand dollars on a computer that I always had to do that to. If I took photos for you charged you market value then told you that you have to do all the pp and printing you would say I was nuts.
My work station did not cost 4x as much you must not have priced how much it cost to get duel Xeon Clovertown or Woodcrest processors in a hp or dell or some one like that. If you try and get the same through dell you have to get a server class and you will pay more then the Mac pro. So like I said for me and my home work by not ever having to do any maintenance on my computers and having tools running in the background saves me time which saves me money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back