Cute couple.

In general I don't like the placement of the people in the frame.
There is lots of empty space in odd places and this lets the tension out of all the pictures.

I agree about the coldness of the images and the middle tones seem to be bleached out.

In number one, the are two separate areas that draw the eye and that empty white space at the top left.

onellllllllllll.jpg

#2 has all this space, a heavy vignette and the complexions are really blanched. Why not a crop that removes some space and saves money in framing also?
one2222222222.jpg

#3 has this "he's a vampire but I luv it so I just lean against this white rock wall" sort of thing going on.

#4 again has a rather pale bluish cast and that crop gives two centers of interest - faces and boobies. There is a halo under his chin that makes this look like its been over-sharpened
950d3r78572xlorig.jpg

Why not simplify this, add a bit of tone and focus on the faces?
Add some color, remove some blue and add some mystery.

one44444444444444.jpg

I looked for merit in your comments....
My belief is you have a minimal knowledge of portraiture, and based your comments from that lack of knowledge.
The crops tones and content of these portraits were conscious choices on my part.

I do appreciate a solid critique from someone who knows their stuff.

It is easy to be uber critical of any photo if that is your intent. Post a few of yours and I will demonstrate :).

I looked for merit in your comments....
My belief is you have a minimal knowledge of portraiture, and based your comments from that lack of knowledge.
The crops tones and content of these portraits were conscious choices on my part.

I do appreciate a solid critique from someone who knows their stuff.

It is easy to be uber critical of any photo if that is your intent. Post a few of yours and I will demonstrate :).

I notice that you didn't respond to the points I made.
Feel free to critique anything I post.

If he get rid of the empty space, what happen when someone wants to print an 8x10 or other ratio? I tend to upload my photos to my gallery wide. I have more choices how I want to print my photos. Plus my photo gallery you can decide how you want it cropped when you purchase the print.

I already addressed the only valid point, the vampire one, which also is an opinion, some people like that type of shot.
The others as I said are based on your own viewpoint which comes from a position of inexperience, so to you at your level of portrait knowledge they make sense, to me...not so much.

I took the liberty of searching for any portraits you may have posted...couldn't find any.

Respond or not...I am done with this thread.

OP, the traveler actually put some time and CC your post. I wish people do that on my posts. You dont have to agree with him. I dont agree with many people here but I dont mind hearing their oppinion.

Ive got to say, I do like these, I said that before. I like the sharpness and the tone.

I also do think that the observations of others here, particularly that of the edit that Traveler did was spot on.

The images again, are quite nice alone, and with a bit of a tweak, are enhanced to a different level.

Just my personal taste, FWIW.

Last edited:
Don't worry Scwettylens,

Clearly, the OP believes that portraits are a different matter from other pictures, exist in a different artistic sphere so to speak and that someone who isn't a real portrait photographer has no right or even ability to comment on them.

I wish she was smiling with her teeth showing. looks like smirking to me.

I think she is over posing, but otherwise I still like the quality of the images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back