Cyanotype

Tuonenlapsi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been co-teaching a photography course in Schildt High for the past 3 weeks now. Today was the last day and we had a six-hour cyanotype workshop where each student developed their own print. It was wonderful to see the students get excited seeing their pictures appear on the paper :)

Anyways, here's some of my favourites of the day's work: (sorry for the quality, these are straight out of the camera and I had little time for documenting their work)
IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7770.JPG

IMG_7774.JPG

(this has to be my #1 one favourite of them all!)

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

And this last one is my own photo which I developed just after the class:
IMG_7785.JPG

spoopy, isn't it?

Very nice ! How the negatives were made ?

Very nice ! How the negatives were made ?
With an accurate photo printer to almost clear film (the big ones without any light sensitive coating). Max. size was A3 so we had to combine some of them to create bigger pictures. There is specific photoshop curves and adjustment presets on the internet to get the levels right to reduce too high contrast.

Probably my future, when film and paper finally run out.

If I recall correctly there are kits for some different colours available. And tonning may work well off course.

There are kits, and toning can be easily accomplished to either change color or just cause a slight tonal shift. I would not recommend tea, coffee, wine, or any other of these "organic" kinds of toners on an image you want to last - they do give lovely results, but are not archival at all.

Wonderful! I have always been fond of cyanotypes...such a lovely process. Thank you sooooo much for doing this post! I am sure the students will always remember their cyanotype workshop and the image or images they made.

There are kits, and toning can be easily accomplished to either change color or just cause a slight tonal shift. I would not recommend tea, coffee, wine, or any other of these "organic" kinds of toners on an image you want to last - they do give lovely results, but are not archival at all.
Totally agree! (only if one is seriously doing this thing. I wouldn't put too much money into toners before trying out cyanotype as simply as possible.)

Have you tried multi-layer toning? I heard it is a thing and was wondering if it is really hard.

Multi-layer toning....? I've not heard of that term, it sounds more like something one would do in PS or some such processing program. I've done split toning, usually with sepia, where you dilute the bleach and pull the print before the blacks have been bleached out. You end up with only the lighter values getting bleached, and subsequently, sepia toned but with strong blacks left in the image.

um, there is also dual toning, toning first in one toner, rinsing/washing, then toning in another. The effects can be really cool.

What is multi-layer toning?

Multi-layer toning....? I've not heard of that term, it sounds more like something one would do in PS or some such processing program. I've done split toning, usually with sepia, where you dilute the bleach and pull the print before the blacks have been bleached out. You end up with only the lighter values getting bleached, and subsequently, sepia toned but with strong blacks left in the image.

um, there is also dual toning, toning first in one toner, rinsing/washing, then toning in another. The effects can be really cool.

What is multi-layer toning?
I think it worked by first putting multiple layers of the cyanotype mix on the paper and toning between multiple times of rinsing... Anyways it must be just experimenting and nothing confirmed to work!
I've tried the split toning, but I always end up pulling the print too late and honestly have given up.

I might ask the chem teacher at my work to make some proper solutions for me :D
(we were actually thinking about a joint course where chem students would learn mixing photography solutions and art students would then use them)

Wonderful! I have always been fond of cyanotypes...such a lovely process. Thank you sooooo much for doing this post! I am sure the students will always remember their cyanotype workshop and the image or images they made.
Thanks Derrel! I'm hoping most of them will take the Advanced Photography course, so I can get to teaching some darkroom basics.:courage:

Most reactions

Back