Cybersync Wireless Transmitters causing fash to make popping sound

mstitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, I'm hoping someone might have experienced this issue. I recently purchased both a Canon 430 ex II flash and a set of cybersync wireless transmitters to go with it. I had to purchase a hotshoe separately that had the pc sync cord port, since the flash does not have one built in. After finally getting every hooked up and working, I'm noticing that when using the transmitters to fire the flash (weather hitting the test button, or taking a picture), the flash emits a popping sound as each flash is fired. It only does this when fired from the transmitters and not from the camera's hotshoe or via IR. The noise is also present regardless of the flash being set on ETTL or manual mode, and I can hear the noise all the way down to 1/32 power. You can also feel the vibration if you are holding the flash. Its only a month old, probably fired less than 100 times, and up to this point used mostly on the camera or triggered via IR. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm concerned that the noise being made is either a capacitor or flash bulb, that could lead to premature failure.

-Mike

Welcome aboard.

I've used C.S. triggers with a 430EX (version I) and didn't have a problem. This will likely be hard to diagnose without actually hearing the sound...and even then, I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

A flash normally makes a 'pop' sound...getting louder as you use a higher power setting...but it's consistent whether the flash is fired via the pilot button, the camera or a trigger.

:scratch:

As Mike said, very hard to diagnose without actually hearing it, but it doesn't sound like anything is wrong to me. Flashes normally emit a whining as they recharge, my guess is that the vibration you're noticing is simply that whine being felt through the case. As for the 'pop' noise, that's perfectly normal and I suspect that the reason you don't hear when using the IR trigger or hotshoe is because it's being fired in TTL mode and the power output is low enough that you're not hearing the sound.

Now, that said, if you're in any doubt and this is new gear, hasten thy butt to your local camera store, bring the flash in and ask someone who will know for sure!

Hey guys, thanks for your responses I realize that its difficult to describe a sound, but if any of you are familiar with the way an electronic metronome sounds, its very similar to that. You can also feel the sound reverberate through the flash if you are holding it. Unfortunately I don't have another flash to test this out on, so I'm stuck with only one.

Robin, I thought this might be the case at first, however pressing the test button fires the flash at the current power setting. Setting the flash to full vs 1/64th lessons the sound and the flash brightness.

Most reactions

Back