Cycling Shots - C&C

JMack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been working with my camera for a couple of months now and while I'm getting better I'm still not quite there yet. Here are a couple of the best shots from a recent cyclocross clinic, wondering if anyone can offer any constructive criticism?

Taken with Canon Digital Rebel XT, 75-200mm lens and on camera flash.

Rider re-mounting after running barriers. Taken as a panning shot while rider was preparing to jump back on the bike. f/22, 1/200, ISO 1600.

Honestly I was very happy with this one. Haven't been able to get many panning shots to turn out well, so to finally get a clear photo of a rider at speed was nice. And I like the look of focus on the riders face. Would have liked if I had been a little wider on the shot, catching the riders stance as he prepared to remount would have made the photo more interesting I think.

4873969496_267a9cc2d0.jpg

Riders running barriers. f/10, 1/1000, ISO 800. I'm happy with the timing of this photo, capturing the rider in mid leap. If I had caught the rider to the left better, it would likely be a better shot. Any recommendations for a better exposure in an area like this with thick forest cover?
4873960740_1abe129cdd.jpg

Last edited:
too tight of crops I think. #2 is underexposed. It is very hard to get blurred background on a bicyclist.

Awesome! and congrats -- I know how hard photos like this are to get. I love to photograph cycle riders as well; they're the most incredible athletes. You got some great photos under the most difficult of circumstances.

Photo two isn't underexposed, just badly mangled by the camera image processor. It's easy to fix -- I adjusted Levels and color for the photo:

bike.jpg

Let me know, [email protected], and I'd be happy to help you process the shot.

Joe

Yeah, wider wouldve been nice on number 1. You couldve adjusted your exposure triangle a bit as well... like instead of f/22 and ISO 1600 you couldve shot it at f/8 ISO 200, ended up with the same exposure with a lower ISO and an aperture not so prone to diffraction... with that said it looks like it came out pretty well :D good job panning.

Not bad shots, but you have to work big time on your settings always use the lowest ISO you can, you also need to get your aperture opened up to blur the backgrounds, i like tight shots but from a different angle like this
97525899_zTTzG-L.jpg

for panning shots i go downto about 1/60 but it takes practise,iso400 due to being in the trees @ F4

97505107_gPvb8-L.jpg

F3.5
97525858_vCPyq-L.jpg

Not bad shots, but you have to work big time on your settings always use the lowest ISO you can, you also need to get your aperture opened up to blur the backgrounds,

Couldn't agree more. I need to get more familiar with what affects the settings will have on the end product, but also the ability to quickly work out what to use in a given situation.

Thanks. Nice shots gary.

Most reactions

Back