D-76 question

McFortner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I see where you can use D-76 either straight or 1:1, but I am wondering if there are any other ratios that I can use to stretch out the stock solution? And if so, how would it affect the developing time?

Michael

Further dilutions would lengthen dev time.

I'm not aware of charts showing times for dilutions greater than 1:1 though.

If you like experimenting you might be interested in divided D76, which is D76
split into A & B baths. That usually means you have to mix it up from scratch
but Photographers Formulary may still sell kits for it.

Here's a reference page on divided D76:
Divided D-76 Film Developer (Variations)

...are any other ratios that I can use to stretch out the stock solution?...

No, in general you can't.

4 oz of D-76 stock solution can only develop 80 sq. in. of film (1 36exp roll), period. Diluting this 1:1 to make 8 oz, enough to cover a single reel in a stainless steel tank, will still only develop one roll. Further dilutions will leave too little of the developing agent in the tank to successfully develop the roll; the developer would become exhausted before the development finishes.

You might be successful with weaker dilutions, but only if you are using shorter rolls. Such dilutions will lengthen the developing time.

How much film are you developing in a week?

At about $6 a gallon for D-76, that is pretty cheap and diluted should get you through at least a months worth of film if you are shooting a lot. Even cheaper if you buy the 10 gallon mix.

Dilutions beyond 1:1 run the risk of developer exhuastion and oxidation problems.

I know people who run two batches of film at 1:1 and just increase development time for 1-2 minutes for the second batch or top off with a few ounces of fresh. Thats a lot of film developed for the money.

You can also use Kodak's replenisher.

I am probably off-base on this, but I get the feeling that you are trying to save a few cents. This is not a good thing. Here's what I do, and why.

The goal in developing film is to achieve absolute consistency. To this end, I individually bottle tank-full portions of D-76 in capped Snapple(r) bottles filled almost to the top. These 'keep' beautifully. Each bottle is a single-use portion. This will work for full strength, 1:1 or any intermediate dilution of D-76. It also works for straight or diluted Microdol, and for the same reasons.

To have a single great negative degraded by poor development is a loss far greater than the cost of single-use development.

Last edited:
And if you are running a single bath developer you could always use the replenisher. I don't have my recipe book on me here at work and I am not sure if there is a packaged replenisher. Something along the lines of replenishing D-23 with DK-25R by adding about 3/4 ounce to the original developer for every roll processed.

They sell a packaged replenisher:

Or, the formula for D76R is:
H2O @ 125F - 750ml
Metol - 3g
Sodium Sulfite - 100g
Hydroquinone - 7.5g
Borax - 20g
H2O to make 1 liter

Most reactions

Back