D-lenses of Nikon

gabrielh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I know that the D-lenses of Nikon have an aperture ring (for example, the 50mm 1.8 lens), but I don't understand how it works when taking a picture (I haven't been to my local store yet): do one use the aperture ring to set the aperture as desired and is the camera body dial useless for such a lens? How does Program and Shutter mode work with this lens: can the camera take control of the aperture?
Many thanks in advance, hope it is not a too bad question!

You actually only use the aperture ring on the lens in manual mode on the camera. In all programed or auto modes the camera will adjust the aperature (you control the aperature by using the dials on the camera body, while in aperture priority mode). Only in manual mode will you actually use the aperture ring.

The way it works is when you have the lens on the camera. In any mode but manual. You stop the lens all the way down (set to highest f#), you have to set this or you will get an error message. The camera will actually hold the aperature wide open though, for brighter viewing when composing the picture. When you press the shutter release the camera then allows the aperature to close down to the setting desired (by computer selection or your selection in aperture priority mode). The only mode you control the aperture by direct selection of a f-stop is in aperture priority mode using the command dial. Or in manual mode using the aperture ring on the lens.

Last edited:
Ok! Thanks! This helps a lot :)!

You actually only use the aperture ring on the lens in manual mode on the camera. In all programed or auto modes the camera will adjust the aperature (you control the aperature by using the dials on the camera body, while in aperture priority mode). Only in manual mode will you actually use the aperture ring.

The way it works is when you have the lens on the camera. In any mode but manual. You stop the lens all the way down (set to highest f#), you have to set this or you will get an error message. The camera will actually hold the aperature wide open though, for brighter viewing when composing the picture. When you press the shutter release the camera then allows the aperature to close down to the setting desired (by computer selection or your selection in aperture priority mode). The only mode you control the aperture by direct selection of a f-stop is in aperture priority mode using the command dial. Or in manual mode using the aperture ring on the lens.

Umm... No.

You don't even use the ring in manual mode... depending upon that you have a modern nikon camera.

in example.. with a D40x.. You wouldn't do that... It would just tell you to set it to the minimum aperture.

Umm... No.

You don't even use the ring in manual mode... depending upon that you have a modern nikon camera.

in example.. with a D40x.. You wouldn't do that... It would just tell you to set it to the minimum aperture.

So, actually, the aperture ring is redundant for the D40X? You can control the aperture just fine using the dials...? And for other bodies like D300 (for eventually maybe an upgrade)?

Thanks!

So, actually, the aperture ring is redundant for the D40X? You can control the aperture just fine using the dials...? And for other bodies like D300 (for eventually maybe an upgrade)?

Thanks!

mmhmm. sure can.

Did your camera come with a manual?

Yes, but I haven't found any info about how D-lenses work... But this helped!

Ummm, I don't think D lenses will work on the D40/60s due to the lack of an auto-focus motor in camera unless you want to go full manual. You will need to stick with AF-S lenses.

I have the nikon 50mm f1.8 and used it on my D40 and D300. This lens does have the aperture ring, but for both of these cameras, it must be set and locked to the widest aperture. I believe the aperture ring is only needed for much older cameras.

On the D40, this lens does everything except autofocus. It will meter, the aperture works, and you will see a green dot in the viewfinder when you get it in focus. On the D300, it is fully automatic and works like a charm! This is probably my favorite lens for shooting in the house.

Thanks andrew99 for this nice answer! I am thinking about the 1.8 or the new 1.4G for somewhere next year maybe...

No problem! There are 50mm's that will autofocus on the D40 (Sigma has an HSM version, for example), but they are all over $400. If you don't mind manual focusing, the 50mm f1.8 is awesome, and very cheap.. great image quality for the money. And when you upgrade your camera, you will be able to autofocus with it. I got mine when I had my D40 and loved it. Sinec I got my D300, I love it even more! :) Here is a recent shot (Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on D300):

2938939067_232596786a_b.jpg

Wew! Very nice picture indeed! Still debating about the 1.4G though, for the speed, less noise, as I have read. And also wishing a d300 (or upgrade of it when it comes?) for more functions...

Thanks! That photo was using available window light .. the large aperture is amazing.

I know what you're saying .. there is always something better to buy! :D

Ummm, I don't think D lenses will work on the D40/60s due to the lack of an auto-focus motor in camera unless you want to go full manual. You will need to stick with AF-S lenses.

It will work it just won't AF on a D40.

LWW

Most reactions

Back