D20 or Rebel 300D

Diamond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am using digital canon ixus 40, and i want to move to SLR..
I have read alot of comments from other photography website and magazines about canon D20 and rebel 300D.. I am confused between the two, can someone advise me please??!!

Well, The 20D is a prosumer level camera featuring 8+ megapixels and a magnesium body selling for about $1600 with a 18-55mm lens. The 300D is a entry level camera featuring 6.3 megapixels with a plastic body and selling for about $900 with the same lens. And now there is the 350D featuring 8+ megapixels a smaller plastic body then the 300D and some features included with the 20D. The 350D sells for about $999 with the same 18-55mm lens.

K

kfoster said:
Well, The 20D is a prosumer level camera featuring 8+ megapixels and a magnesium body selling for about $1600 with a 18-55mm lens. The 300D is a entry level camera featuring 6.3 megapixels with a plastic body and selling for about $900 with the same lens. And now there is the 350D featuring 8+ megapixels a smaller plastic body then the 300D and some features included with the 20D. The 350D sells for about $999 with the same 18-55mm lens.

K
The 20D is a pro camera. The 300D is a prosumer camera.

I might say that the 20D is a prosumer level camera and the 300D is a consumer level camera. The real Pro cameras are the EOS 1Ds Mark II and the EOS 1D Mark II.

As mentioned, there is a new version of the 300D...the 350D (Rebel XT). It's priced very close to the 300D but has many of the features of the 20D. You can do a side by side comparison at www.dpreview.com

One thing I like about the 20D is the thumb wheel on the back. People have said that once they get used to a camera with the thumb wheel...they don't want to use a camera without one.

A Holga is a pro camera.

Go check them out and hold them. See which one you like. Then, check the features and decide what you need in your camera. Consider the 350D (Rebel XT) as well. Buy what you can afford, and leave room for buying lenses and memory.

A Holga is a pro camera.
The point I was making is the 20D is a metal camera designed to take the wear and tear of everyday "pro" use. That's what most people mean when they say "Pro" camera...

I wasn't taking a shot at you Vood. I just saw a silly little "semantics" argument brewing. Any camera that lets me get the shot I want is good enough for me.

Digital Matt said:
I wasn't taking a shot at you Vood. I just saw a silly little "semantics" argument brewing. Any camera that lets me get the shot I want is good enough for me.
Definately agree! It's pretty silly to argue over what a camera is classified. I'm sure that somewhere disposable camera's were used to take pictures that were sold for money...

While once upon a time I think that "professional" was a term used to describe something of higher quality, these days it seems like whether something (cameras, film, etc...) gets labeled "professional" is decided by a marketing guy, who doesn't have a clue or an interest in photography.

Anyone have one of those new 8mp Rebels to compare to a 20D? I'd like to see the difference there.

you can pick up a 300d with lens for $730 from b&h...probably worth it for the average hobbiest (I sure hope so, I just ordered one)

Which one should be the best choice ?

Could some of you give their advice / opinion ?

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back