D200, D80 or 400D?

Graelwyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been bugging about for weeks now, reading endless reviews to try and decide between the Nikon D200, Nikon D80 and Canon 400D... I have a budget of £830 and would obviously be going the second hand route, tho I could afford a new D80 with a lens. The D200 would be pushing me a bit and I would only be able to afford a body and would have to use my current AF lenses from my old F60. I have not ever used a Canon and so have no idea how they handle. I have never liked the plasticky look of some of the bodies on them. I have tried holding both the D200 and D80, and the D200 felt bulky and seemed to stretch my hand a little, while the D80 fit comfortably, but I have heard the D200 is somewhat superior to the D80 in spite of having almost, and I say almost identical technical credentials. I have also read a thread here where someone complained of getting soft images with the D80...are there any D80 users here?

I have yet to try a Canon in my hand.

I am stuck between getting a D80 with lens, a D200 body or trying a Canon D400 and hoping it suits me.

Welcome to the forum.

If you already have Nikon glass...then it would make sense to stick with Nikon.

Have you considered the D50? From what I've heard, it's practically the same as a D80.

The D200 with the 18-200mm VR lense is a grand slam legend of a combination. Unbelievable versatility, jaw dropping colors, and images so sharp you could cut yourself.

ive used the d80, its viewfinder is much bigger and brighter than the d50...and then there's the 10mp over 6mp, which isn't bad

I finally made up my mind, and invested in a used D200 from a local shop...only it hasnt been used, so it is just about new. I cannot afford the dx lenses on top, so will manage on my nikkor af 75-240 and a tamron 19-35 which gives me a reasonable range according to the guy at the shop. Paid £850 for those along with a 1 gb sandisk memory card.

Yep, thanks :) got the D200 as said... just about managed to get the strap on and put in the card etc and shoot a few things on P mode. Now got to figure out the rest lol.

Most reactions

Back