D200 sensor and pointing at the sun don't mix..

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a 100% crop from a raw image taken with my d200. I had the sensor on my d70 do something weird once too.. I'm not really asking for anything, just showing. The d70 never did it again (that pic was from '05), I have been shooting with the d200 and it's been fine after.. so *shrug*

sensor_pixels.jpg

Here's the full image if anyone's interested..
BLH_1389.jpg

I saw the same thing on my D40 a few times. I never did figure it out, but I haven't seen it since I upgraded to a D300.

Did you use Photoshop RAW converter? That's the program where I saw that maze pattern. Apparently other RAW converters don't have that problem. Also, when researching this, I read that having a Cactus or GI radio trigger on the hotshoe can cause this, but I have never proven this myself.

What about your Nikon software?

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.. got the d70 in '04, my d200 is used, didn't come with software.. heh. I uninstalled it a long time ago.

Probably a silly question since it came out 2 years ago but are you using the current firmware? 2.00 for A and B firmware sets? There was a few issues in the dark tones when the overall sensor was heavily exposed when the camera was first released, but the firmware updates fixed that.

That said you're not really shooting into the sun or over exposing the image in any way I can see, so it is probably a different problem. That image shouldn't really be a problem for the camera.

Just looks like a processing problem, interesting though.

Just looks like a processing problem, interesting though.

How could that be when it's straight from the raw file?

Probably a silly question since it came out 2 years ago but are you using the current firmware? 2.00 for A and B firmware sets? There was a few issues in the dark tones when the overall sensor was heavily exposed when the camera was first released, but the firmware updates fixed that.

I've only had the d200 a few months now, and haven't checked the firmware on it actually.. just started shooting and everything seemed fine. Maybe i should when I get home.

How could that be when it's straight from the raw file?
There is no such thing as "straight from the raw file". What you see when you view a RAW file is how the software has rendered it. A JPEG will render the same in all software. RAW will render differently in different software.

There is no such thing as "straight from the raw file". What you see when you view a RAW file is how the software has rendered it. A JPEG will render the same in all software. RAW will render differently in different software.

Overkill. What he saw in his viewfinder and what he saw on his screen were the same thing. Not a process problem.

Most reactions

Back