D200 sporadic "Err" message ... common?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a used D200 from KEH as a backup (D7000 is going in for service ... again :grumpy: ). It was rated EX and if you've bought from KEH before, you know that means it's basically mint.

I've been using it for a few days and today, it suddenly gave me the continuous "Err" message while the mirror was stuck open. A quick bit of Googling led me to the solution of removing the lens and pressing the shutter button. It happened again not much later, same solution.

Just wondering if this is a common problem. Contemplating whether I should return it (still within 14 days).

I bought a used D200 from KEH as a backup (D7000 is going in for service ... again :grumpy: ). It was rated EX and if you've bought from KEH before, you know that means it's basically mint.

I've been using it for a few days and today, it suddenly gave me the continuous "Err" message while the mirror was stuck open. A quick bit of Googling led me to the solution of removing the lens and pressing the shutter button. It happened again not much later, same solution.

Just wondering if this is a common problem. Contemplating whether I should return it (still within 14 days).

Don't contemplate, return and replace.

Call them and they will most likely take it back or swap it out.

You just bought somebody else's problem. I'm sure KEH will take it back.

Well, I think I'm going to use it some more over the weekend and call them on Monday if it seems to be persistent issue (next week Wednesday is 14 days since purchase). The only thing is that, after shipping and buying a few D200-specific accessories, I'd have to eat about a hundred bucks by returning it :|

It's funny, I've owned a D40, D90, D7000 and D200; and I've used all of them in exactly the same shooting conditions ... can you guess which is the only one I've never had a single problem with and is still happily chugging along? ;)

Page 193 of the Nikon D200 user's manual says.

Err (blinks) - Camera malfunction - Release shutter. If problem persists or appears frequently, consult with a Nikon authorized service representative.

KEH's EX and other ratings refer to the external or cosmetic appearance of the camera, not to the internal condition of the camera which would be so time consuming to ascertain they could not sell used gear at the prices they do sell at.

Either way, you bought a used camera. Fortunately KEH is a very reputable seller, and IIRC they include a 6 month warranty.

Well, I'm pretty sure this is related to low battery life. I was using it in cold weather (causes the battery life to drop suddenly). Change the battery and it's fine.

I had that happen when I used an off brand battery and there was little life left in the battery.

Most reactions

Back