D200 to D300 upgrade? is it worth it?

I own both the D200 and the D300. While I would say that I like the D300 a lot more than my 200 and that nikon did a lot improve the camera, I would not sell my D200 to get the D300. You would lose so much money at this point that it would not be worth selling the D200. I find that in most times the D200 takes just as nice of pictures as the 300, unless in low light situations. The only reason that I have to two bodies and not just the D200 is because I started to do wedding photography and needed a backup body, so I went with the upgrade. If you do not need two bodies I would stick with the D200, get some glass, 70-200 2.8 VR, 24-70 2.8, things like that. In the end it will pay off if you have nice glass.

I guess me getting 4,500 shots on one battery on a D300 doesn't do justice? This was from a borrowed D300 using a 80-200 f/2.8 and I was bursting about 3-4 frames. No flash pop-up flash was ever used.

That's why I have my SB-800......

~Michael~

Personally I upgraded to the D300 and used my D200 as a backup. Luckily, two days after buying the D300 my D200 broke while on a ride at Sea World (word of advice, don't listen to the ride operator when they say to put the camera on the floor). Anyway, as far as photos I definitely prefer the D300 because of the high ISO for dark rooms. Many times I won't use the flash because I can get a great shot at a high ISO, and very minimal noise. Focus time also seems to be faster, however I just bought a new lens, so I am not exactly sure I can credit that to the camera.

My suggestion, is if you have the money the buy it. Or, you can wait till the end of this year when they announce the D400 (which may or may not happen).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back