D300 card storage

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I just picked up a used D300 and it only came with a 512mb card. I want to go with a bigger card versus a lot of smaller cards since its more a backup I want to limit the amount of cards I purchased for it, the manual only lists 8 gig cards as the maximum. I'm wondering if any D300 users out there have tried maybe a 16 gig card or not.

I use a Sandisk 16 regularly in mine with no problems, 769 raw images.

How is putting all your images onto one card 'backup'?

If the card fails, you could lose everything..........

correct, the camera itself is going to be a backup camera. or my son will use it. So I don't want to purchase a large amount of cards a pair of 16gig would be just fine. just wanted to make sure they were okay before I purchased.

I used 4 GB CF cards in my D300's, and wouldn't allow the possibility of losing 225 Raw files a 4 GB card can hold, which is why I changed cards once I had 100 files on a single card.

I can't even imagine risking 700+ Raw files. I chose the management task of using 8 - 4 GB cards over the convenience of using 2 - 16 GB cards.

One of the things I do really love about the D7000 is having dual card slots to run backups as you shoot. I'm just going to run with a pair of 16 gigs for now. Reality is my kid will wind up using it more then me to teach him how to shoot and to keep him from taking my camera when were out at car shows. If its an event i'm always changing cards before I fill one up, for the most part. If I get the chance to shoot a few more weddings this year i'll probaly go out and buy another one since things like that I usually break up the day into 3 sections.

I use a 32gb card for when I do long timelapses. Other than that I use what ever is in my bag that is cleaned.

we mostly have 4 gig cards. one or two 8 gigs floating around. I guess if your doing video the large cards would be good, but we never even fill a 4 gig card before swapping it out and/or transferring the images to the laptop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back