D300 LCD Flicker on Image Transfer?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just noticed the top LCD of my D300 flickers every time it completes the transfer of an image off through the USB connection. (the whole LCD refreshes)

It's no big deal (or at least I assume it's not), but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the behavior of their D300 when doing an image offload?

I've only every used a card reader. The USB cable has never been unfurled.

No, I think it just does it as a diagnostic, or because of power competition.

I know on mine that the top LCD blanks and switches from the normal screen to a "CONNECTED TO PC" screen when you plug in the cable. Next time I transfer, I'll check if it is flickering like you said.

I know on mine that the top LCD blanks and switches from the normal screen to a "CONNECTED TO PC" screen when you plug in the cable. Next time I transfer, I'll check if it is flickering like you said.

Thanks, Andrew, I appreciate it.

It literally works like...

1. transferring image
2. image complete
3. entire screen goes off
4. entire screen comes back on (with # available exposures increased by one)

2,3 and 4 all happen basically within a split second.

By the way, I'm talking about the information readout on TOP of the camera... not the image display screen on the back.

Just curious, what software are you using? I just drag and drop in Windows, so it copies all the images at once. I can't remember if I had to change a setting in the camera's menu to make the camera look like an external hard drive.

Sorry for the slow reply.. I finally downloaded some pictures last night.

First I connected the camera. When I turn the camera on, the top LCD says PC CONNECT (or something similar). When I use Windows to drag and drop from the camera to the PC, the top LCD doesn't change or flicker, it just shows the same message, with an animated bar (the bar looks similar to the exposure meter bar).

Are you using this same mode to transfer your photos?

Sorry for the slow reply.. I finally downloaded some pictures last night.

First I connected the camera. When I turn the camera on, the top LCD says PC CONNECT (or something similar). When I use Windows to drag and drop from the camera to the PC, the top LCD doesn't change or flicker, it just shows the same message, with an animated bar (the bar looks similar to the exposure meter bar).

Are you using this same mode to transfer your photos?

You are referring to the LCD right by the shutter button, yes?

Mine doesn't do ANY of the stuff you described... though I'm not doing the drag and drop. I'm actually using the Nikon Transfer app. (it's handy- you should check it out)

I'll try the way you described tonight and see what it does.

Thanks for getting back to me, andrew.

Yeah, I was talking about the LCD on top, next to the shutter release button. The main LCD on the back stays off.

There are 2 modes for connecting via USB. I think I had to change a setting to get the mode I use, which causes the camera to show up as an external drive...You might be in the other mode.

Yeah, I was talking about the LCD on top, next to the shutter release button. The main LCD on the back stays off.

There are 2 modes for connecting via USB. I think I had to change a setting to get the mode I use, which causes the camera to show up as an external drive...You might be in the other mode.

Oh, interesting. Wasn't aware there were two modes. I'll have to check that and see if that's related.

I did actually place a call to Nikon and ask them about the behavior. They claim it was normal, but the guy didn't really seem to entirely understand what I was asking so I'm not sure how much I trust that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back