d300 opinions

CouncilmanDoug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been looking to upgrade from my d3000 to a body with a focus motor, higher fps, ai lens metering, and a nice big viewfinder. So i think I've decided on a d300, looking to spend abut $500 for a decent used body. Do you guys think this would be the best option for this price range?

I really can't speak to what used gear goes for in your area, but the D300 is an excellent body, and will be a big step up from a D3000.

The D300 is a phenomenal camera! I picked one up about 3 months ago for the speed and AF system as I am a birder and I could not be happier. It really depends on what you are planning on shooting. I personally never see myself going back to a lower level of camera. I went D5000 to D90 to D300. My keeper rate has went up dramatically. ISO 800 is usable with good exposure. I have pushed to 1600 and higher as needed, but find I loose too much feather detail especially if cropping is involved. Also not knowing your level but there is no auto or scene modes(or an annoying dial). MSAP is what you get. The controls are awesome. Here are 3 shots from my flickr showing real world noise fwiw...

ISO 800

Fall Green Heron by krisinct, on Flickr
ISO 800

Northern Flicker by krisinct, on Flickr
ISO 1600

Great Blue Heron - Low light by krisinct, on Flickr

Great camera, I have one and love it. $500 seems very cheap to me. I got mine for $550 but it was heavily used.

take note that the extra weight will take some getting used to, especially if you grip it like I did.

I forgot to mention mine was $550 from KEH in "bargain" grade with 37K clicks on it. It is in great shape, just a small scratch on top lcd and it was missing the rubber eyepiece, fwiw...

Yep more of the D300's I see used are nearer the $550-$750 range. And yep if had the dough would snatch one in a hot minute. Like my D90 but she's getting up their 68k clicks. And would love fine-tune lens option and metering for Ai and Ai-s lenses. Build,Banks and more doo-hickeys to twist,turn and click! :p

+47 that $500 for a clean well cared for D300 is kind of wishful thinking. I sold a couple of clean well cared for D300 like that within the last year for $900 each. I had the original boxes, cables, paper work, unused Nikon straps, user's manuals, etc.

Thanks for the insight guys, I was just browsing ebay and good ones seem to be going for <$600, It'll take me a while to save up enough money anyway and the prices may go down more by then.

I agree too. I upgraded from D5000 to D300 about 1 year ago. Never look back. Of course the newer camera has better sensor, unless you are buying a higher model, I think D300 is more than good for an average user.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back