d300 vs. 5d?

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
About the same price. 5d is full frame but not weather sealed. The 5 is looking good but I'd then have to reinvest in lenses.

Although the 5 is about the same as the D3 but 2 grand less?

What do you guys think?

well, the 5D is not weather sealed as the 1-series, but it is not a sponge either ;)

I think it is hard to compare an almost 2 year old camera with a very recent one.

I have no D300 experience, but I guess it is a state of the art camera.

you could of course wait for the new 5D which will most likely come out very soon.

but then again, you are used to nikon now ...

Just get whatever feels right to you. Personally if it were me and I had alot invested in lenses I would stay Nikon. How many lenses do you have already?.

you've already got Nikon lenses, why switch now? It wouldn't make financial sense.

The 5D is the same as the D3? Check your gas mains I think you may have a happy leak at home ;).

someone else was trying to compare a 40D with a D300 the other day, I'm thinking, what !.
On one hand, it'll suit Canon to suggest a 40D is actually comparable with a D300...and sooo much cheaper too, but its not that simple, aside the fact the D300 isn't even available yet and I'll be pretty gutted if it doesn't spank a 40D from here to the otherside of Christmas.
The real problem is, it suits these 2 manufacturers to place their products between each other so they don't actually compete on a one v one basis, that would kill the golden goose and just be a brutal price war.
so like everything else its horses for courses, personally I cant see any further than the 2 nikon bodys, they are the most up to date technically advanced iminently available bodys (almost) on the market, and no amount of old 5D tech waving can change that.
Canon will just have to suck it up till they get a respose together, its been a long time coming and the squirming in the other camp is beautifull to watch/read...between the lines:mrgreen:
You need to decide what your priority is, full frame or not, I sense the D3 is not the money you want to spend, so that just leaves 5D..
I dont know anyone disappointed with a 5D, weather sealing or not.

If you are in need of a Full Frame camera now, than the 5D will be the way tp go. The D3 is not out yet and a bit more cash. Spec-wise the D300 is impressive. Seems to be on par with the 5D minus the FF. So if you do not mind the crop factor, than that is a good choice since you have Nikon lenses already. If you plan on waiting a couple of months, I am sure the 5D Mark II is due out in winter from all of the online rumblings.

Common sense tells me the D300 is a better camera and value. The 5D is a good rig, but the 300 has a lot of advantages that overcome it's lack of a FF sensor.

Well I'm a Canon freak but out of those two I know which one I'd get and it doesn't have a 5 in it!

2008 will be the year of Nikon

from what I can gather the 5D replacement will not be much of an improvement, more of a way to make the camera cheaper, poss under £1000 for a body, but that said my sources have gone a bit quiet on that front

from what I can gather the 5D replacement will not be much of an improvement, more of a way to make the camera cheaper, poss under £1000 for a body, but that said my sources have gone a bit quiet on that front

but then again, pre-release rumors mostly fails with camera-makers ;)

As I said, I am curious. Not sure .. maybe I should hope that it is not a considerable improvement. since that could safe me from getting one and spending lots of money ;)

I decided on the D3.

I cheaped out when I bought my D50 and hated myself for it. So this time I'm going for a camera I really want. It wont be out for months to come (In store) so I will have plenty of time to get the rest of the cash.

Thanks ya'll

It makes sense since you have lenses for it already.

Most reactions

Back