D3100 Night Sky pictures

mr.brooks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to this forum and I attempted a search but couldn't find my answer.

With my Nikon D3100, I have a really wide angle lens. I have been able to capture descent photos of the night sky and stars with the 30 second shutter time. I just got a remote and can now set it to whatever time :)

Thing is, I can't seem to get my settings straight nor my focus..

Looking for some direction [emoji15]

Try manually focusing in live view. Just zoom into the max and turn the focusing ring until you achive sharp focus, then check near and far objects.

For night sky photos you have to Manually focus. As mentioned us Live View or through the Viewfinder and manually focus. If you lens has an Infinite mark on it then set it to that for simplicity.

Also, just because you can do 30 seconds doesn't mean your setting *will be* 30 seconds.

Your timing will be based on the available light of the night sky, your aperture, shutter and ISO capabilities of your camera.

Offering detail on each specific element of your setup and an example of your work can help us in helping you. We can provide more accurate direction, but it's based upon accurate information.

Also you should set the camera to manual or M mode, if you have not already tried this

Hey everyone, so because it was late I ended up being vague and I'm sorry.

This is what I am working with. There is an infinity focus on my wide angle lens. But I don't know if there is one on my fixed lens.

Honestly, I went to shutterbug a few years ago and they set me up with the camera. I eventually went back for the wide angle and fixed lens. I typically do vehicle photography, but I want to expand into stars and long exposure shots.
a4e6a385c038ba1cc681096a805ac7b2.jpg
e73a1f8719c80e956b053560990a6fe8.jpg

The wide angle lens is a Sigma EX by the way

Take off the polariser for night or other filter, UV perhaps, UV filters only offer a a degree of protection like goggles over your eyes nothing more, again if you have done so already.

Bare in mind with the sigma the aperture varies by the degree of zoom you use, note the 1.4 - 5.6 on the side, to see this in action just watch the LCD screen as you zoom in and out. You shouldn't leave your sensor exposed like that normally so if you haven't got a F mount cap, google image it, you should keep a lens on it.

You shouldn't leave your sensor exposed like that normally so if you haven't got a F mount cap, google image it, you should keep a lens on it.

It always has the lens on the camera body, I just took it off for the photo, I will try without the polarizer tonight.

I'm looking more for settings advice

do not use the polarizer or any type of filter on the lens.
The polarizer you may be *losing* 1 to 2 stops of light, which is not what you want.
It may also be affecting a nice crisp image for a night time photo.

Are you taking only photos of the sky/space? or with a object in the foreground ?
Are you near light pollution which is going to affect your settings? or in pitch black?
still a bit vague on your existing settings.

can you provide an example image?

But if you want a "setting" how about 30 seconds at f/4 at ISO 1250 ?
it will probably vary from that. But in manual you'll review the image and increase/decrease the Shutter or ISO or Aperture for a better exposure of whatever you are taking a photo of.

If it's over exposed then lower the ISO by 1/2 and see how it is.

If it's underexposed then a longer Shutter (you'll have to time it manually) as a higher ISO may be too much noise. Can do anything with the Aperture.

==> A to Z of night photography | TechRadar

Most reactions

Back