D3100 or P7100 for poor hobbiest??

I've never had a problem buy anything off FredMiranda and have bought several things off members there in the past. In fact, most of what I get from there looks like it's never been used! And you do realize that a refurbished item has been used? Without ever buying used, you are going to SEVERELY limit what someone, especially with a strict budget, is able to purchase and use. Good luck.

Refurb generally has a factory warrenty associated with it no??

I've just gotten an email from the buddy who is trying to talk me out of getting a DSLR in favor of a high end point and shoot. He must make some sense because he keeps getting me turned around. I'm still going to get the D3100, but is he right about not taking as good of shots with in normal conditions without a slew of $800 lenses?

Both cameras have plenty of "creative potential" out of the box, perhaps the advantage goes to the cp7100 because of the extra focal length, low aperture and ND filter (to force depth of field) as well as a macro mode. The D3100 can surpass this with additional lenses.
I can not stress enough the convince factor of a small camera for family travel. I admit that the D3100 with the stock lens isn't as bad as my D200 with grip and 200mm lens. But holy ****, the cp7100 has a 200mm lens and fits in a pocket…

If the nerd/hobby factor is more important the the actual pictures consider the D3100, but you are going to want a longer lens 5 minutes after you start shooting, guaranteed.
The cp7100 is a great camera to learn on, to discover what you want that a PNS can't do and is a great hand-me-down for the wife, plus its cheaper. I think you can totally geek out on making creative photos with this little camera, after all its the quality of light and subject matter that make a great photo not the camera.
What would make the D3100 a clearer choice for creative capabilities? A way faster lens like the 35mm 1.8. But you are also going to want a longer lens too.
DSLR = money pit (any way you look at it)

I've never had a problem buy anything off FredMiranda and have bought several things off members there in the past. In fact, most of what I get from there looks like it's never been used! And you do realize that a refurbished item has been used? Without ever buying used, you are going to SEVERELY limit what someone, especially with a strict budget, is able to purchase and use. Good luck.

Refurb generally has a factory warrenty associated with it no??

I've just gotten an email from the buddy who is trying to talk me out of getting a DSLR in favor of a high end point and shoot. He must make some sense because he keeps getting me turned around. I'm still going to get the D3100, but is he right about not taking as good of shots with in normal conditions without a slew of $800 lenses?

WHAT??? Your buddy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Yes, quality of light is very important but a Point and Shoot isn't going to give you that by itself. And yes, subject matter is important as well, but you are going to have a much harder time isolating your subject with the relatively tiny sensor that the Point and Shoot has. And no you don't need a slew of $800 lenses to get good photos. These are all photo's taken with the 18-55 kit lens: Flickriver: Photos taken with Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

and if you want macro, just reverse the lens. You can get some very good Macro shots this way and it only cost $5 for the reversing ring. Someone on this forum just posted some shots last month that he took with the kit lens reversed: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/283457-male-phidippus-jumpers.html

BTW, the Nikon refurb warranty is only 90 days I think.

Last edited:
I mean a 55-200mm lens costs like $100, if you really want that. Which is all he seems to be preaching about. That and the size of the camera.

The biggest thing isn't so much the creative capacities as much as the D3100 **MURDERS** the P&S in low light ability.

I have about the best P&S you can buy, the Lumix LX5. It goes down to f/2.0 It has one fo the best sensors ever for low light in a P&S. The worst lens I have on my D3100 is roughly 19238742 times better in low light.

I am an owner of a D3100 and i for the price I paid I need to say it was a money well spent. With the 18-55 Len that came with I can say it takes really good photo clean and crispy. I upgraded to a 35mm 1.8g lens for it after 5 months and my photo has gotten way better with the len. The best part is its only 200 dollar for the upgrade. No additional accessories is require when your starting off with photography until you get used to the camera a bit more down the road. I would be more then happy to show you some of the landscape photo I shot of with my d3100 if j knew how to get it to you. I would say get the D3100 in my opinion.

Yes! I know!

What I really think is going on is that HE is bored with photography and is taking it out me. He just wants to walk around clicking pictures like a 90 year old grandma.

That link is great, thanks!

I am an owner of a D3100 and i for the price I paid I need to say it was a money well spent. With the 18-55 Len that came with I can say it takes really good photo clean and crispy. I upgraded to a 35mm 1.8g lens for it after 5 months and my photo has gotten way better with the len. The best part is its only 200 dollar for the upgrade. No additional accessories is require when your starting off with photography until you get used to the camera a bit more down the road. I would be more then happy to show you some of the landscape photo I shot of with my d3100 if j knew how to get it to you. I would say get the D3100 in my opinion.

um, well, at least one additional accessory is required: a memory card.

Another voice for the D3100, point and shoots have their place but I'd rather go back to film than have one as my sole camera

Like I said, your friend is doing you a major disservice by trying to dissuade you from buying the DSLR. I will NEVER go back to a point and shoot again.

Stop talking to your friend and buy the D3100. You will be thanking us later!

Not that I'm a dxo freak or anything, but look at the simple dxomark comparison here...

D3100 vs P7100
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by sideven if you don't understand, Overall score, color depth, dynamic range and low light iso... P7100 = bad, d3100 = much better

Ok, I'm not talking to him anymore. I'm going to play with the D3100 after work today. Thanks a ton for all the feedback!

Most reactions

Back