D3200 images half black

ethanpeyton3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got my first DSLR. It's a nikon D3200. It was a floor model, with no lens, and no cover. It sat like that for who knows how long.

When I took it home and tried to take some shots they kept coming up as the top 7/8 of the image fully black, and the bottom was the subject, but blurry.

I put the camera into some sort of cleaning mode to move the mirror and I think I've found the problem.

There's are two flat pieces of plastic against the back glass, the closest one to me is half way in, and halfway out. It's wedged, and not allowing the other piece to slide down fully.

Since I've never seen it correctly, I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Also, it's under warranty, so I'm willing to try to fix it myself if I don't have to send it off anywhere, but I know if I can't fix it then I can send it in.

How do you think I can solve this issue?

Thank you!

Ethan
14575829714551676022979.jpg

That looks like the shutter's faulty. If it's under warranty don't try to fix it, return it.

DO NOT try to fix it yourself. 99.99971543% of camera owners simply do not have the tools and knowledge to fix the complicated and intricate cameras of today.

If it's under warranty, send it in.

I would return it. No lens cap, just sitting there, does not sound promising at all to me. You can get a refurbished D3200 that will be fully functioning for $240 at Cameta.com and you won't have to deal with any hassles. Nikon will probably consider that impact damage and by the time you get it back it will be too late to return and they will probably want you to pay for the repair.

Just wondering what kind of clip-joint outfit sold you a d-slr with a broken shutter??? "Floor model" my a**!!! Seriously--this is a serious ethical lapse on the part of the seller. How can you resolve this issue? Call or go back to the store and explain that you were ripped off, and ask what they plan to do to make the situation right.

Any Camera shop that cant take the time to put a whole $1.99 body cap on to avoid huge amounts of dust piling In on important mechanical parts is pathetic.

Given the shops casual approach a far greater concern is the high probability that the camera is a grey import in which case Nikon will want to have nothing to do with it.

Given the shops casual approach a far greater concern is the high probability that the camera is a grey import in which case Nikon will want to have nothing to do with it.

Sure they will, you just have to send it to the country it was packaged for. That's all.

Just wondering what kind of clip-joint outfit sold you a d-slr with a broken shutter??? "Floor model" my a**!!! Seriously--this is a serious ethical lapse on the part of the seller. How can you resolve this issue? Call or go back to the store and explain that you were ripped off, and ask what they plan to do to make the situation right.

think of all the jam hands that have touched that thing...

think of all the jam hands that have touched that thing...
and all the little kids that played with the shutter and touched that pretty colorful sensor.

take it back to the store for a refund
buy elsewhere

It was a floor model, with no lens, and no cover.
The shutter is garbage. Replacing the shutter is a costly repair, and I strongly suspect that the sensor (the expensive part of a digital camera) is probably damaged as well. Whenever the body is open and unprotected, dust particles and larger objects (fingers, tools, etc.) can enter the body, which is never a good thing.

Return this camera to the store for a complete refund, and if they offer to "have it repaired" politely decline. The cost of replacing the sensor and shutter will likely be higher than the purchase price of a new camera.

(edit) O.K., maybe getting it repaired would be acceptable. Make sure it is done by an authorized Nikon repair facility.

Last edited:
It's about $300 for a new shutter.

Nikon would be easily able to see the camera had been abused, so don't plan on getting a no charge warranty repair.

back in the day i used to buy display model electronics at best buy.

id get the extra warranty, and then when theyd break (and almost almost came broken) id bring them in under warranty and get a free replacement -- usually with the newest replacement model.

Well, there you go! What store is it? Did it come with any kind of warranty?

Most reactions

Back