d3200 lens

mannyt07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
which lens would you recommend on the nikon d3200 the 35mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.8? and also is the d3200 a cropped or full frame camera. sorry for the noob questions and thanks in advance

which lens would you recommend on the nikon d3200 the 35mm f/1.8 or the 50mm f/1.8? and also is the d3200 a cropped or full frame camera. sorry for the noob questions and thanks in advance

My personal preference is the 50mm focal length. I like the exact amount it compresses the background in most shots. I'm considering selling my 35mm f1.8 after I go through warranty (I've had an issue), just because I don't feel it does my shooting style justice. Nevertheless, I've gotten some excellent shots with the lens (which is why I still have it at the moment).

What you'll have to weigh out is which focal length you prefer. If you were me, I'd say jump on the 50mm bandwagon even though you're using DX.

Please do yourself a favor (you don't have lens calibration on your D3200, nor do I on my D5200) and test your lens when you go to buy it. Test the focussing accuracy, and compare sharpness between focus done with live-view versus sharpness done through the lens focussing. You can simply zoom in on a shot on your camera after taking a picture and check that way in a store. My 35mm f1.8 needs warranty service because I didn't do this and I got a bum lens, and this issue isn't as uncommon as one might hope.

Uh, all auto focusing is TTL (through the lens).

Your 35 mm f/1.8 is probably just fine, but needs to be adjusted.

You are using mass produced electronics, and there is some manufacturing specification variance.
If your camera's AF module is adjusted at the high end of the tolerance range, and your 35 mm f/1.8 is adjusted at the low end of the tolerance range there can be some focusing issues.

Both the D5200 and the D3200 uses phase-detection AF when the viewfinder is used (main mirror down), and contrast-detection AF when live view is used (main mirror up).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back