D3300 getting exposure wrong

Have you tried resetting the camera? That may fix the problem without having to find it.
I guess they are ignoring you...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enthusiasts have a tendency to make things as complicated as they can. ;)
Well it was mentioned, multiple times. The op even stated they performed a reset prior to that suggestion. I guess not all enthusiasts are as clueless as some people appear to believe.

In fact, read the very last sentence of his original post.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been shooting Nikon for a number of years. I started with a D40 then moved up to a D7000 and a D610 after that. I shoot in full manual with no issues.

A friend asked me to take a look at his parents D3300. He said that they "pushed some buttons" and now everything is either too dark or too bright. No problem- I figured they had adjusted the exposure compensation and said I'd be happy to take a look at it. Well- I'm eating my words. I'm stumped.

In auto, if the camera uses the flash (test shots taken indoors in good daylight but the camera still thinks it needs the flash) the images are almost entirely overexposed. (Whole image is white with very little identifiable objects). If I turn it to auto without flash, it's underexposed (iso automatically set by camera, shutter speed too high for correct exposure.) A variety of test shots in numerous lighting yields the same results- the camera is drastically overexposing images with the flash.

In program, shutter, aperture, or manual mode, the exposure compensation seems to be working correctly, allowing me to adjust as needed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why the camera is getting it drastically wrong in auto modes but allowing me to get it correctly manually and how to correct it?

Resetting everything hasn't helped either. I'm stumped.

Ask nikon support live chat, I'm sure they have an upload facility if you were to upload an image taken by they camera they might through a answer back.

Have you tried resetting the camera? That may fix the problem without having to find it.

Well it was mentioned, multiple times. The op even stated they performed a reset prior to that suggestion. I guess not all enthusiasts are as clueless as some people appear to believe.

He added that after my response I believe.

Could be I guess, but I took issue with the condescending tone towards us enthusiasts.

The problem is we are not watching over someone shoulders when they "reset everything"
Does that mean they went through all the options individually and reset them?
or they used one of the reset options, or all the reset options? (did they know about the various reset options?)

Anytime you call tech support for anything they step through routines irrelevant if you have done them already.

If it works in Manual and not AUTO then we need to know the EXACT lighting, distance, subjects etc for the AUTO mode to guess WHY it selected a certain setup. We need more information than "it doesn't work" and "I've reset everything".

One could test the lenses on another body.
Of the body on other lenses to see if it could be the lenses or body.
Otherwise the "send it to Nikon" bells start ringing because they will "reset everything" and test it against known functioning equipment.

The problem is we are not watching over someone shoulders when they "reset everything"
or they used one of the reset options, or all the reset options?

Anytime you call tech support for anything they step through routines irrelevant if you have done them already.

If it works in Manual and not AUTO then we need to know the EXACT lighting, distance, subjects etc for the AUTO mode to guess WHY it selected a certain setup. We need more information than "it doesn't work" and "I've reset everything".

Otherwise the "send it to Nikon" bells start ringing because they will "reset everything" and test it against known functioning equipment.
No argument here, was attempting to help diagnose some of that myself.

Could be I guess, but I took issue with the condescending tone towards us enthusiasts.

or they used one of the reset options, or all the reset options? (did they know about the various reset options?)

You don't need to call them there online live chat forum I have found helpful at times, it does take ages though,

Could be you rejected my offer.

Could be you rejected my offer.
What offer? Sorry but no clue what your talking about here..

Most reactions

Back