D40 Exposure Question/ Does This happen to anyone with any camera

It is actually worth having this feature, that is, being able to adjust the EV compensation value in manual mode - I actually used it a couple of days ago. (D80 btw)

I set the camera to manual as i needed a fastish shutter speed (1/200th) and reasonable DOF (so f/stop was set at f5.6) i also had Auto ISO which took care of exposure. If i didn't have the EV comp set then my skies & highlights would have been blown out.. EV comp. (-1.0) solved this and in this case it just adjusted the ISO rather than change any shutter speed or aperture values.

So i think there is a need for exposure compensation even in manual mode. For HDR shots though, i would say no, you'd want the same ISO & Aperture, the only thing you'd want to change is the shutter speed.

So i think there is a need for exposure compensation even in manual mode. For HDR shots though, i would say no, you'd want the same ISO & Aperture, the only thing you'd want to change is the shutter speed.

well, with auto-iso, manual isn't rellay fully manual anymore ;)

True. I was just justifying the use of exposure compensation in 'manual' as it could seem like a pointless feature in that mode?.

But yeah, something has to give to change exposure while keeping the same shutter/aperture values.. unless you use artificial light/filters/change in ambient light or something else it has to be ISO.

I would of like to have control/use of EV while in manual for "fine tuning" without having to change the aperture and shutter speed.

That mode is coming, if it isn't already available in some of the cameras with auto ISO. Switching the ISO on a 40D is just as easy as changing exposure compensation.

^^^ FYI, I think he's talking about the Nikon D40. Not the Canon 40D.

It is actually worth having this feature, that is, being able to adjust the EV compensation value in manual mode - I actually used it a couple of days ago. (D80 btw)

I set the camera to manual as i needed a fastish shutter speed (1/200th) and reasonable DOF (so f/stop was set at f5.6) i also had Auto ISO which took care of exposure. If i didn't have the EV comp set then my skies & highlights would have been blown out.. EV comp. (-1.0) solved this and in this case it just adjusted the ISO rather than change any shutter speed or aperture values.

ugh... i'm having a tough week.... help me... if you needed a fast shutter speed with f5.6 and you would have blown highlights with combination of 1/200 why wouldn't you just leave your ISO at base and increase your shutter speed to obtain the correct exposure?

EDIT: No need to answer... I was reading it wrong... a desired shutter and aperture combination with the use of auto iso and exposure compensation to hammer back the ISO... gotcha!

Last edited:
I know on my camera (A200) when in M mode it changes EV itself by adjusting shutter speed or aperture setting (shutter by default, aperture if you tell it to)

I read that from the manual... did you check your's out?

Yes. Now that you mention it that is what happens with mine also
That must be why I never brought this up before - I forgot :blushing:

And the reason I was using EV instead of shutter speed to make a HDR was that the place where I got instructions to make an HDR said to use EV and I didn't put 2&2 together and think I could use shutter speed instead of EV :blushing:

ugh... i'm having a tough week.... help me... if you needed a fast shutter speed with f5.6 and you would have blown highlights with combination of 1/200 why wouldn't you just leave your ISO at base and increase your shutter speed to obtain the correct exposure?

EDIT: No need to answer... I was reading it wrong... a desired shutter and aperture combination with the use of auto iso and exposure compensation to hammer back the ISO... gotcha!

yup, didn't want to stop motion completely :)

I have a D40 also. In Manual mode, the EV doesn't effect your exposure, it is shown only as a reference. This makes sense, since by definition, manual mode means you have to change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO yourself to change the exposure. This applies to any camera, as far as I know.

For HDR, you want to get 3 shots with different exposures by adjusting the shutter speed. You don't want to adjust the aperture, since the DOF changes, and you don't want to change the ISO since it will introduce noise. So set your camera to manual ISO, and leave it at ISO 200, and use manual mode and take 3 shots with different shutter speeds. You could use aperture mode and then use EV to change the exposure (the camera will change the shutter speed automatically, since you are not changing the aperture or ISO). I find this is trickier on the D40. And obviously you'll need a tripod since any movement between shots will cause ghosting in your HDR image. Hope this helps!

I have a D40 also. In Manual mode, the EV doesn't effect your exposure, it is shown only as a reference. This makes sense, since by definition, manual mode means you have to change the aperture, shutter speed and ISO yourself to change the exposure. This applies to any camera, as far as I know.

Yup same on the D80 assuming Auto ISO isn't on.. If Auto ISO is on however, it will actually change the exposure. (May not work down the way if your ISO is at it's lowest and your shutter speed/aperture combo is set to give 'good' exposure though as it can't bring the ISO down any further)

Really need Helen to pipe up on this one. Oh Heeeeeeeeeelennnn...

I"m no expert in the cameras being discussed but I can comment on how my camera operates.

Exposure compensation only applies when in Aperture Priority. It directly affects the shutter setting being suggested by the meter.

Exposure compensation does not apply to manual metering. The meter simply tells you when "it" thinks it is correct, under, or over exposed. Exposure compensation in manual is established by either stopping down or opening up the aperture or shutter speed. The meter readout is in 1/2's of a stop.

Exposure compensation in manual mode just seems a bit silly to me...

Some here will remember when exposure compensation on older cameras were done by adjusting the ISO dial.

Last edited:
^^^ FYI, I think he's talking about the Nikon D40. Not the Canon 40D.

Whoops!

I can understand the usefulness of a mode where the photographer sets the aperture and shutter, and lets the camera set the ISO, but that mode should not be named "Manual". Manual exposure mode means the photographer sets the exposure whether it's right or wrong.

Most reactions

Back