D40 or D60

saltydog3317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am about to buy my first decent camera. I am leaning towards a Nikon D40 but would like some opinions from experienced people here. I can also get a D60 for the same price. The research I have done tells me to get the D40 but the D60 has more mega pixels. I would like to know which of these 2 models I should buy and why? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any personal experience with the D60, but I've got a D40 and I love it. There are a few little annoyances with it, like the lack of an AF motor, and relatively poor (but not HORRIBLE) high ISO performance, but it's a great camera and I love the hell out of mine.

Check this link: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145423 Some good conversation about the D40 here.

I have a d40 as well. My only real complaint is the lack of bracketing at the moment. It's a great entry level camera for me. I'm sure once I feel more comfortable I will move to something more advanced.

i bought the D80 as my first camera. about the first week was a little over whelming but one of my friends has it and walked me through how feathres work. I bought it used for 500$ and then the 50mm 1.8.... and even though I am a student and it left me with 40$ to live off of for about 3 weeks but now a month and a half later I am 100% satisfied and already I am wanting the next level up full frame camera. so if you can do it i would recommend the D80 also because you are not limited to the glass you are going to use.

Are you talking about the body only or with a kit lens? If you can get them for the same price, I'd almost suggest the D60. I don't usually do that, but the D60 includes a nicer kit lens (18-55 VR), sensor cleaning, Active D-Lighting, which are nice things to have.

if its d40 or d60 get the d40.. they are basically the exact same camera and the d40 is cheaper.. however, d80 would be best, sometimes on ebay you can find good deals.

I am about to buy my first decent camera. I am leaning towards a Nikon D40 but would like some opinions from experienced people here. I can also get a D60 for the same price. The research I have done tells me to get the D40 but the D60 has more mega pixels. I would like to know which of these 2 models I should buy and why? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat, I was just at Best Buy looking at the D40 vs D60. On the Black Friday sight it claims that they are going to have the D40 with the 18-55 and 55-200DX (not the VR) Lens with a bag and a DVD for $549.99. That sounded like a good deal but i thought I would do some more checking before next week.

This will be my first decent camera so i have nothing at this point and some people are telling me to go with Canon?

well the only main difference is the mega pix, so if they are the same price get the better one

I just bought a D50 for my first DSLR. It was only $325 used with the kit lens. The D80 will be next step, but not for a while. I'm sure the D50 will satisfy me for a while.

I just bought a D50 for my first DSLR. It was only $325 used with the kit lens. The D80 will be next step, but not for a while. I'm sure the D50 will satisfy me for a while.

i use the d50 as my main camera, i love it.. got my used with kit lens for 200 bucks at a pawn shop.. its in great condition... my next step will likely be a 300 or something in that range

If my choice was between a D40 and D60, I would take the D40 hands down... the D60 doesn't have as good of image quality at high ISO (and yes, I have shot both extensively)

Most reactions

Back