D40? Or...

When I used the Rebel XTi my dad has a few days ago, I thought it felt really cheap and I didn't like the button placement as much as my D80's. I'm not sure if the D40 will be much of an improvement, however.

I'm not sure what to tell you, except that you may want to include Pentax in your searches too.

Sorry to bring this thread up again... but... I am still searching for the right DSLR for me...

I know this might start a big debate canon vs. nikon and such... but D40 or XT? Since I dont have any really good Nikon lenses that I would want to use on my D40, I have been starting to consider Canon aswell. These are the main limitations that I know of:

D40(x): no internal auto focus motor... only AF-S lenses will auto focus on it. As a result, AF-S lenses are more expensive.

XT(i): Not as good image quality as nikon (not sure if this is true). You need more expensive lenses to get great images with an XT, or so I have heard. Quick question aswell, does the XT,XTI, and XSI have built in autofocus motors so that they can focus with the EF lenses as well as the EF-S?

So... D40 or XT?

Also... my preferable budget is under $1000 canadian with a camera, lens, and accessories that I may need.

No big debate. Canon and Nikon are both excellent photography choices but Nikon will also improve your sex life.

Damn Socrates, I didn't know that little tidbit about Nikon. I should inform my wife. :D

Gamerz, I was in your shoes just a few months ago. Wanting a DSLR and already owning a couple of Nikon lenses. I ended up by getting the Nikon D80 (actually it was a gift from my wife for my bday. Surprised the hell out of me!) I would recommend to you to do the same, or the D50 or D70 for that matter. My reason is this, you can buy just the body and not have to worry about buying lenses until you decide that photography is going to be your hobby for a while. I'm not sure what the D50 or D70 are going for on the used market but I'm sure it will be less than the purchase price of a Canon XTi with a kit lens.

Go to your local photo shop (not Wolf or Ritz type stores) with your lenses and talk to the guy behind the counter. Be honest with him about your goals for photography and ask for some suggestions. He will help you out. He'll probably even have a used D50 or D70 for you to try out. Local, professional type shops are great.

Just my $.02, which in todays economic market isn't worth a whole lot.

You really do need to go to a photo store and tinker with the bodies. The ergonomics of it will determine your choice in the matter. That said, you do have Nikon lenses already, so it would be practical to get a Nikon. check the compatibility of those lenses against what the d40 can work with. There is an issue with older AF working on the D40. Might consider upgrading to the D40X model or better yet a D70 or 80. I find the entry dSLR's too cheap and plasticy to begin with. If you plan on doing a lot of wildlife/ nature photograpghy, a sturdier body would be nice. D200 can be had at a nice price these days with D300 released. Probably within your budget. Just get the body kit for now and use the lenses you have until you get the hang of things and upgrade from there. Everyone will probably tell you to get a 50mm f/1.8. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back