Fate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhedgesphotography.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey all

Im trying to sell my Nikon 70-300 (the fairly old one... without VR) to my friend who owns a Nikon d40. Ive given her it to test drive, so to speak, and she cant get the autofocus to work. I know that the D40 and D40x dont work with a load of lenses... so is this one of them?

Not sure offhand, but you should be able to check quite easily.

I think that the D40 / D40x will only AF on a lens with a built in servo, so on your lens look at the mount, and see if there is a little round thing that looks like a screw-head (with a groove in). If so, the lens needs a body with a built in AF servo.

If the lens doesn't have it's own motor, the AF won't work with her camera unfortunately.

the only lenses that will autofocus are the AF-S and AF-I lenses.

The only 70-300 that will autofocus on the D40/x is the new VR version which is also AF-S, and $500. The cheapest long lens with AF support on the D40 is the 55-200 VR or non VR. You can find the non-VR version for $100-125 used, or get the VR version for about $200 new.

In the case with the D40 is it hard focusing manually? im new to photography and thats the camera i have and i was just wondering if it is hard to use manual focusing?

Yes, both the G and ED versions of that lens must be MF as they are not AF-S lenses. And no, it is not hard to MF a lens, we did it for well over a hundred years and made some beautiful images.

In the case with the D40 is it hard focusing manually? im new to photography and thats the camera i have and i was just wondering if it is hard to use manual focusing?

It's not 'hard' to manually focus, just sometimes it's nice not to have to.

I'd imagine the D40 has a focus indicator on the viewfinder which will tell you when it's in focus (dispite the focusing process being manual).

Manual focusing is not hard, but I'd hate to not have the option on such a new camera. Good thing Canon figured it out and put motors in all of their lenses (well...almost all of them). I couldn't imagine not having USM ring motors...so much faster than manual focus.

Most reactions

Back