D40 vs. Rebel xT

Everybodylikepie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I know the D80 vs xTi debate is a popular topic on here, but I'm not interested in either of those cameras. I'm looking to upgrade from a P&S to my first digital SLR, and I've narrowed my search down (based on price/reviews/features) to Nikon's d40 and Canon's rebel xT. I'm sorry if there are other threads on this topic, but I searched, I really did.

So far I know this:

- D40 is supposed to have a better kit lens
- Rebel xT has more MP (I've read up on the megapix myth, don't worry)
- Nikon has CCD sensor vs. Canon's CMOS which is supposed to be quieter
- Nikon's LCD screen is far superior
- The d40 needs certain AF lenses to be able to autofocus, which limits lens selection
- Rebel xT doesn't have autoISO, unlike the d40

Anything else important that I should know in my search? They seem comparably priced. What are your suggestions for this noob?

Thanks in advance!

I don't really know those cameras, so can't say whether there is something else to take into consideration besides what you mention. And what you mention doesn't seem significant for me to decide on it:

1. I would not take any decision based on kit lenses
2. The same goes for MP's
3. A quieter sensor?... wouldn't care much, either
4. LCD screen? well, I'm basically a film guy, so am accustomed to see the pictures (long) after taking them. Since I would not pay much attention to what appears on the LCD screen, this wouldn't be important for me. I can of course understand that it might be significant for you, in such case: point for Nikon
5. the one on the lenses would really be a point, yes. On the other hand, the limitation only applies to AF function, does it not? Anyway, point for Canon here, but not very important either
6. autoISO?... any "auto" function is secondary for me

So... it's obvious I'm not much help, if any...

My advice would be: go for the one that feels better in your hands (hope this does help!)

having never used the D40, only read about it, I would go with the XT no question. XT has quick access to settings you need like WB, Metering, ISO as well as being able to change saturation, contrast, tone, and sharpness quickly with pre-sets. Also the D40 doesn't have any fast lenses (<f/2.8) with autofocus. The canon has the super cheap super sharp 50mm 1.8 mkII. Also it has more autofocus points so if you decide to shoot moving subjects, the XT will be better equipped to track it with autofocus.

Im sure the D40 is a good camera though.

EDIT: As SwitchFX has indicated, there is in fact an f/2 AF-S lens, so the above is incorrect

Alot of those points don't matter.

A sensor can't be quieter, because they are all silent (other than sub human hearing electrical impulses)

I don't want to sound like a biased Canonite but I would never take a D40 over my XT. I'd take a D80 over an XTi, but a D40 is hated amung some Nikonians. An SLR systems biggest asset is the ability to upgrade through flashes, lenses, filters, etc. So to only be able to properly use SOME lenses in your system, is a huge downside for me. Also, 3 AF points on a 40D? That makes the AF of lenses that actually can as pretty crappy. Auto ISO I've heard has it's nice moments, but I'd rather have complete control over exposure, while knowing how grainy the photo will be.

Megapixels, LCD size/resolution, and kit lenses are all points that sound like they are coming from someone who hasn't been a Digital SLR photographer before, as none of them matter. MAYBE the kit lens thing is something to consider in the incredible short run, but it shouldn't determine a system.

Alot of those points don't matter.

A sensor can't be quieter, because they are all silent (other than sub human hearing electrical impulses)

I don't want to sound like a biased Canonite but I would never take a D40 over my XT. I'd take a D80 over an XTi, but a D40 is hated amung some Nikonians. An SLR systems biggest asset is the ability to upgrade through flashes, lenses, filters, etc. So to only be able to properly use SOME lenses in your system, is a huge downside for me. Also, 3 AF points on a 40D? That makes the AF of lenses that actually can as pretty crappy. Auto ISO I've heard has it's nice moments, but I'd rather have complete control over exposure, while knowing how grainy the photo will be.

Megapixels, LCD size/resolution, and kit lenses are all points that sound like they are coming from someone who hasn't been a Digital SLR photographer before, as none of them matter. MAYBE the kit lens thing is something to consider in the incredible short run, but it shouldn't determine a system.

quieter as in less noise, not audible sound.

I feel so stupid >.<

Ok so yes, CMOS has better noise reduction technology. I'm going to go work on prying my foot out of my mouth, see you all tomorrow on the forum.

Thank you all for your quick responses. The kit lens is somewhat important to me because I'm a college student (read: poor) and it might be some time before I am able to upgrade to a better lens. Is there anyone here who has experience with both cameras?

So far it seems like the favorite is the Rebel xT. However, no one seems to have any experience with the newer d40. Another thing is that it seems like the two cameras aren't as evenly priced as I thought they were. The d40 has the edge in this regard. So, is the Rebel xT worth the extra $50?

i have a nikon d40 with the kit lenses. i have tried a couple dslr before and the d40 is the my first own dslr. but the camera works great. i have no trouble with it. the menu are friendly to use with directions and examples build in if needed, quick access. turns on very quick. battery life is outstanding. color can be set to srgb or adobe rgb, which can be useful. auto iso makes its very easy to shoot in all kinds of lighting condition.(more time shooting and less time playing with the camera gets you outstanding pictures..just my opinion) noise is almost none at iso1600. af-s lenses focus and shoot quick and quiet. lcd screen is the best thing about it, it makes the picture and color look very vivid, clear and sharp. you can customize your menus(add what feature you want and hide whichever you dont want) it is super small and light weight. very good for the price. the iTTL flash makes flash very even and color tones come out natural. i can go on and on about it, but to keep it short, for the price even as a kit dslr and an upgrade from a point and shoot, you will be very very satisfy with the d40. 3 point focus point is on the downside but i dont find it a big issue. it still does a very well job.

i can compare this to even the canon xti. i would use the d40 over the xti. if i need 5fps or a 10mp dslr than the xti would be the choice. but the d40's 3.5fps and only 6mp still does an amazing job. read review from kenrockwell.com he has test many camera and has tested the d40 with very in depth review. good luck. have fun.

I was wondering which dslr you went with. I'm currently trying to make the same decision. I have a Canon Rebel 35mm with 2 lens so I would only need to purchase the Rebel XT body. I'm still seriously considering the Nikon D40. Tough choice.

I was wondering which dslr you went with. I'm currently trying to make the same decision. I have a Canon Rebel 35mm with 2 lens so I would only need to purchase the Rebel XT body. I'm still seriously considering the Nikon D40. Tough choice.

I wou8ld stay stick with Canon. There is nothing wrong with them. I have the xt and I love it. No reason to put 2 perfectly good lenses to waste.

I own the D40 and love it! When and if I get into major photography I will probably get the D80 or D200 and use my D40 as backup. One big thing to me whas build quallity and comfort. If you are going to be holding these cameras a lot (which you will) you want one that fits the hand and is comfortable to hold and this is were the D40 outdoes the XT in my opinion. I have held both and honestly can't stand the XT, know when you get up to the 30D and higher they feel much better and sturdier. And even at 6.1mp the pictures look very nice and supposedly come close to the higher mp cameras due to some newer technology in the D40 (correct me if I am wrong, as I don't want to misslead anyone). Just my observations:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back