D40

dyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I have the Nikon D40. Pretty much a beginner SLR, which is fine for what I use it for . I was thinking of upgrading my camera to the D90 or D300. But I think I'd rather get a new lens for this year. I'd like a better
Portrait lens. Currently I have the kit lens/35mm/55-200.

Question, which lens for portrait. Macro or another. Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help

D

Justanengineer

Thank you for the response. I will look at those .

D

I'm still not shooting , much, in manual. My goal is to just take better over all pics of my family. I appreciate your advice. I think the tamron may be a good option. I still get a bit confused when I look at another lens , non nikon. I need that auto focus...:)

D

I'm kinda in the same boat. I mostly just try to take decent snaps of my family and friends.

I'm assuming the 35mm is the 1.8 lens? What makes you dissatisfied with that?

All three of those lenses will auto-focus with the D40. Your Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G should, too.

If you upgraded to a D90 or better camera, there are less expensive portrait lenses without built-in focus motors that would auto-focus, like the $124 Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D or the $320 Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4D.

If you upgraded to the D300 or better camera and you were comfortable with manual focus, there are quality AI-S type manual focus lenses available that would work in aperture priority mode.

Thank you for your responses.

I have a difficult time getting a sharp image with this lens. Maybe I need to avoid a prime? I've been thinking of putting it on craigs list. Hard to let a lens go when you saved up for it for six mos...lol.

I'm learning a lot, thank you!!

BTW, I"m female and my real name is Kelly.

D

Such an expensive hobby :( But I love it. As far as upgrading.....I know the D40 suits my needs. I have to just tell myself that bigger camera's are just eye candy for me. I wouldn't get much out of them.

Kelly

Hi everyone. I have the Nikon D40. Pretty much a beginner SLR, which is fine for what I use it for . I was thinking of upgrading my camera to the D90 or D300. But I think I'd rather get a new lens for this year. I'd like a better

Question, which lens for portrait. Macro or another. Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help

D

I know this has been said already but the 35mm should suit your portrait needs, as far as ive heard the 35mm is a sharp lens.

Try playing around with it on your D40 and take some portrait shots.

D

I know this has been said already but the 35mm should suit your portrait needs, as far as ive heard the 35mm is a sharp lens.

Try playing around with it on your D40 and take some portrait shots.

The 35mm is a fantastic lens. Tack sharp and if you want to get creative you can get some decent bokeh with it wide open.

Stopped down to 2.8 ~4 is sharp.

Most reactions

Back