D40

MichaelMcDoanld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was thinking about a new camera, plus wanted to upgrade to a digital. Nikon has the new D40 model. Would this be a good starting camera? Any ehlp would be appreachted!

I think it would be fine. The D50 appears to be only $100 more and I know it would be fine since I have one myself.

Spend the extra $100 and get the D50. The D50 will work with any AF Nikon lens, the D40 will not.

The D50 is a GREAT camera at the right size/feature level/price. I wouldn't recommend a D40 because it seems to be scaled down, like it's trying to capture the higher-end Coolpix users - point-n-shooters who want something a little better.

I'd say spend the extra and get a D50. I have become pretty serious about photography and I love mine. I also use the LCD display on the top often which is one of the things cut for the D40.

I would not recommend the D40. The cheapest I have seen it with lens, at a reputable retailer, is $599. Ritz Camera has the D50 with a Nikkor 28-80 lens for $499. $100 cheaper price+added features=better choice than the D40.

Or, they have the D50 with the 28-80 and a 70-300 for $699.

CMan said:
I would not recommend the D40. The cheapest I have seen it with lens, at a reputable retailer, is $599. Ritz Camera has the D50 with a Nikkor 28-80 lens for $499. $100 cheaper price+added features=better choice than the D40.

Or, they have the D50 with the 28-80 and a 70-300 for $699.

Indeedy. Ritz Camera employee from Minnesota here - we have an unadvertised Nikon special through Christmas - I believe.

D-50 outfit for 499. I would probably get one if I didn't already have a Digital Rebel.

I've heard pretty good things about the D40. But the one thing I cannot stand to lose is the LCD screen at the top, which is now replaced by their picture-mode dial.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back