D400.. keep dreaming.

I strongly believe the only thing DX has going for it now is price... I also don't think i'd pay more then $2k for a DX body.
Price is one thing for sure. I know I'm not the only wildlife shooter out there. The "crop factor" is still a huge draw for us people along with speed. The D600 doesn't do anything for me. The D800 I'm sure is an amazing camera, but It doesn't have the speed. The D4 is awesome, but it is 6 grand... You've seen what I shoot, The D300 is still the fastest crop camera in Nikon's lineup after 6 years. The D7100 was crippled in the speed and buffer department. I bet the D400, if it does comes out will have some pretty big surprises in it...

11fps for the D400.... that will be a nice surprise. In fact, that will make it a very good complimentary product to the D800. One great for still, one great for moving. It's going to hurt the D4 though.

It won't hurt the D4 much because the D4x is next :) I still think Nikon could have easily taken the D800 sensor and chopped it into a 16MP sensor (Crop mode pixel density) and threw it into a D300/s body last year and had FF low ISO performance, but they didn't. With that being said I think the D400 if it does exist will be a new breed of camera. I can't image they would just throw one of the existing 24 MP sensors into it. I'm expecting some big surprises in the next 2 months.. If not I'm quite happy firing away with my D300 :)

Price is one thing for sure. I know I'm not the only wildlife shooter out there. The "crop factor" is still a huge draw for us people along with speed.

I've changed my opinion on the DX 'crop factor'... I don't think it is better for sports and wildlife anymore. The high pixel count of the new FF bodies and the larger sensor size give just as good images cropped to DX size as the current DX bodies. In the 'old days' the D300 had an ever-so-slight advantage over the D700 in picture quality when the D700 images where cropped. However, lots of people liked the better ISO handling of the D700 and opted for FF.... Now you get to have your cake and eat it too!

As for speed...
D300s = 7fps @ 12bit lossless NEF (18 shots in buffer before it slows down)
D800 = 5fps @ 12bit lossless NEF DX Mode (38 shots in buffer before its full)

The D800 is only 2 ftps slower... but it has over twice the buffer size. I know lots of people will scream that FPS is everything.. but IMHO, i could get used to a slightly slower FPS if i can shoot longer without things slowing down.

It won't hurt the D4 much because the D4x is next :) I still think Nikon could have easily taken the D800 sensor and chopped it into a 16MP sensor (Crop mode pixel density) and threw it into a D300/s body last year and had FF low ISO performance, but they didn't. With that being said I think the D400 if it does exist will be a new breed of camera. I can't image they would just throw one of the existing 24 MP sensors into it. I'm expecting some big surprises in the next 2 months.. If not I'm quite happy firing away with my D300 :)

I don't think a D400 will bother the D4 directly but it could have an effect on the lower FF models like the D600, D700, & D800. This over time could have a slight effect on the cost of the D3 & D4.

The D800 is only 2 ftps slower... but it has over twice the buffer size. I know lots of people will scream that FPS is everything.. but IMHO, i could get used to a slightly slower FPS if i can shoot longer without things slowing down.

Agreed, the larger Buffer could help offset the lower ftps.

As for speed...
D300s = 7fps @ 12bit lossless NEF (18 shots in buffer before it slows down)
D800 = 5fps @ 12bit lossless NEF DX Mode (38 shots in buffer before its full)

The D300 with grip is actually 8 FPS. For me 8 FPS is a necessity when I'm shooting Osprey dive sequences. If this D400 does actually get announced I'm sure the buffer will be deeper than the D300 buffer. It's not that I'm screaming FPS is everything, but for what I shoot there are times that 1 shot every .20 seconds wouldn't cut it... Of course I'm probably the exception to the rule...

Here we are... another year.. no D400 rumors yet.. However, some promising stuff on the canon side!

Canon is supposed to have a few 'unannounced' test bodies at the winter games (Feb 7-23). They are also supposed to make a 'big splash' at the World Cup (June 12th). A pro level APS-C DSLR is said to be among those cameras.
Will Canon Answer the D4s? [CR2] « Canon Rumors
A New Rebel for CP+? [CR1] « Canon Rumors

The 7D replacement is also supposed to have some new features that will set it apart from all the other Pro APS-C DSLRs.
Hybrid Viewfinder Coming To Canon DSLRs? [CR1] « Canon Rumors

I think we are going to see the 7D mk2 (or whatever its called) by June!

I know a few people going to the Sochi games, I'm going to make sure they take plenty of pictures of the press cameras :) .

Ohhhhhhhhhh! A new Canon Rebel is imminent! And maybe an update to their $15,000+ cinema d-slr!!!!!! Excitement!

Ohhhhhhhhhh! A new Canon Rebel is imminent! And maybe an update to their $15,000+ cinema d-slr!!!!!! Excitement!
You've got to read between the lines :) . Canonrumors has quite a few 'CR2' stories saying Canon is getting ready to release a new Pro APS-C DSLR into the world (CR2 = rumor received from a reliable source).

I don't think Nikon will produce a 'Pro' DX until Canon forces them to.

I don't think Nikon will produce a 'Pro' DX until Canon forces them to.

Agreed.

I think Nikon is content with selling slightly upgraded consumer DX bodies. Anyhow, I folded and ordered a D800 instead since I really don't need the speed or crop factor. Now I may hang on to my D300 just in case but not sure ATM.

Agreed. I think Nikon is content with selling slightly upgraded consumer DX bodies. Anyhow, I folded and ordered a D800 instead since I really don't need the speed or crop factor. Now I may hang on to my D300 just in case but not sure ATM.

I still have mine. It's still an amazingly capable camera! I use it as my "tough conditions" camera.

I read between the lines; the Canon Rumors has VERY weak predictions, and two cams that were mentioned were a new Rebel and a revamp to the high-end 1Dx cinema camera... a new Rebel seems more likely to me than a 7D Mark II.

ANyway...some new predictions from Thom Hogan recently: that Pentax, Fuji, and Olympus will ALL introduce full-frame cameras this year.

Also, he mentioned that the Sony/Nikon exclusive use agreement for the 36-MP sensor runs out in late 2014. More talk about the new "54-MP" sensor.

I cannot figure out why both Canon and Nikon have allowed their highest-spec'd APS-C bodies to age for soooooooooooo danged long! The D300s and the 7D are way overdue for replacement. But neither company seems in any hurry whatsoever to issue a refresh in this segment. I mean, at what point in time do these two companies decide to get this show on the road? Or....will they? I've heard that Canon is working on a 72-MP FF camera with a sort of Foveon-like sensor...I wonder if Canon is waiting for a MAJOR tectonic shift, before embarking on the 7D update. And I wonder the same thing about Nikon.

I read between the lines; the Canon Rumors has VERY weak predictions, and two cams that were mentioned were a new Rebel and a revamp to the high-end 1Dx cinema camera... a new Rebel seems more likely to me than a 7D Mark II. ANyway...some new predictions from Thom Hogan recently: that Pentax, Fuji, and Olympus will ALL introduce full-frame cameras this year. Also, he mentioned that the Sony/Nikon exclusive use agreement for the 36-MP sensor runs out in late 2014. More talk about the new "54-MP" sensor. I cannot figure out why both Canon and Nikon have allowed their highest-spec'd APS-C bodies to age for soooooooooooo danged long! The D300s and the 7D are way overdue for replacement. But neither company seems in any hurry whatsoever to issue a refresh in this segment. I mean, at what point in time do these two companies decide to get this show on the road? Or....will they? I've heard that Canon is working on a 72-MP FF camera with a sort of Foveon-like sensor...I wonder if Canon is waiting for a MAJOR tectonic shift, before embarking on the 7D update. And I wonder the same thing about Nikon.

It begs the question if both companies have decided to abandon that particular niche in favor of entry level FF cameras. Price of the 610 is similar to the 300s at launch.

And a 72mp sensor? Yikes my PC processor trembles at the thought of editing a 100mb raw file.

At the time the D7000 came out I picked one up to replace my D300s. It didn't even come close to be able to replace my D300s. I haven't really kept up to speed on the D7100 as I have just become content with my D300s as it does do everything I want it to and does it well. What are the differences between the D7100 and D300s that make the D7100 still not a replacement? The two glaring things I see are FSP and still no 10-pin...

My shutter started making some weird noises and it seems to be a bit sluggish so I wanted to send it in for repair but I don't currently have a backup. I though about picking up a D7100 but just wondering if there is something major I'm missing. If there is I'd be happy to just find a refurb D300s to pick up instead. I do agree that we are unlikely to see a direct D300s replacement.

I read between the lines; the Canon Rumors has VERY weak predictions, and two cams that were mentioned were a new Rebel and a revamp to the high-end 1Dx cinema camera... a new Rebel seems more likely to me than a 7D Mark II. ANyway...some new predictions from Thom Hogan recently: that Pentax, Fuji, and Olympus will ALL introduce full-frame cameras this year. Also, he mentioned that the Sony/Nikon exclusive use agreement for the 36-MP sensor runs out in late 2014. More talk about the new "54-MP" sensor. I cannot figure out why both Canon and Nikon have allowed their highest-spec'd APS-C bodies to age for soooooooooooo danged long! The D300s and the 7D are way overdue for replacement. But neither company seems in any hurry whatsoever to issue a refresh in this segment. I mean, at what point in time do these two companies decide to get this show on the road? Or....will they? I've heard that Canon is working on a 72-MP FF camera with a sort of Foveon-like sensor...I wonder if Canon is waiting for a MAJOR tectonic shift, before embarking on the 7D update. And I wonder the same thing about Nikon.

It begs the question if both companies have decided to abandon that particular niche in favor of entry level FF cameras. Price of the 610 is similar to the 300s at launch.

I'm wondering the something.

Most reactions

Back