D400.. keep dreaming.

I hope some day they make a camera like that for you, if that's what it takes to make you a better photographer!

8fps makes or breaks your offsprey shots, but 20fps is overboard? why not 20fps?

At the time the D7000 came out I picked one up to replace my D300s. It didn't even come close to be able to replace my D300s. I haven't really kept up to speed on the D7100 as I have just become content with my D300s as it does do everything I want it to and does it well. What are the differences between the D7100 and D300s that make the D7100 still not a replacement? The two glaring things I see are FSP and still no 10-pin...

My shutter started making some weird noises and it seems to be a bit sluggish so I wanted to send it in for repair but I don't currently have a backup. I though about picking up a D7100 but just wondering if there is something major I'm missing. If there is I'd be happy to just find a refurb D300s to pick up instead. I do agree that we are unlikely to see a direct D300s replacement.
If you look back through this thread you will see I was holding out for the D400. I caved 2 months ago and got a D7100. The sensor is really quite a bit better, especially when cropping for birds. I'm shooting at ISO 1600 and go to ISO 3200 if needed. With the D300 I shoot at ISO 400 and really hated going above that if I knew I would be cropping at all.. After that the D300/s smokes the D7100 in every aspect. I know the D7100 is supposed to have an upgraded AF system but in real life shooting I don't feel it. The speed and buffer is so much better on the D300. I actually have only shot with the D7100 since I got it and I am getting by for now with shorter bursts and the camera still chugs away at 3 FPS when the dinky buffer is full.. The D300 is always ready to go if needed. Once the Ospreys return and I start shooting dive sequences I will be torn as to which camera to shoot.

I keep reading (rightfully so and comparitively speaking) how crappy the 7D iso performance is. Then, I go out shooting amongst what I call the serious birding and wildlife photographers and the overwhelming majority of them are using 7D's. I only call them serious because of all the 300, 400, 500, and 600 mm primes I see many lugging around.

Then I check out Flickr and see the results. How much better can things get really? That being said, I myself and waiting/hoping for a 7D mkII. Why? Because I am a nutbar first of all. Secondly, I hope it has enough specs that satisfy me for the next 10 years - that along with the 300mm 2.8 mkII. My dream team.

The 7D is still the best crop camera in Canon's lineup, imho. I played with a 7d and a 70d on the same day and besides the cool touch screen and the cool video AF system, If I shot Canon I would be shooting the 7D myself.

It is a shame that Canonikon has seemingly abandoned us wildlife shooters. It seems to me one of the biggest markets in the future for DSLRs. No tablet or phone will be able to slap a 600mm lens on it and fire away like our cameras can. At least not in my lifetime...

Just curious. Do you use 95mb/s cards? I see videos showing how the buffer chugs along (and as you state), but I also see threads where the faster cards make a pretty significant difference.

I just ordered one yesterday so I will be able to compare the 95mb/s to 30mb/s and 45mb/s.

At the time the D7000 came out I picked one up to replace my D300s. It didn't even come close to be able to replace my D300s. I haven't really kept up to speed on the D7100 as I have just become content with my D300s as it does do everything I want it to and does it well. What are the differences between the D7100 and D300s that make the D7100 still not a replacement? The two glaring things I see are FSP and still no 10-pin...

My shutter started making some weird noises and it seems to be a bit sluggish so I wanted to send it in for repair but I don't currently have a backup. I though about picking up a D7100 but just wondering if there is something major I'm missing. If there is I'd be happy to just find a refurb D300s to pick up instead. I do agree that we are unlikely to see a direct D300s replacement.
If you look back through this thread you will see I was holding out for the D400. I caved 2 months ago and got a D7100. The sensor is really quite a bit better, especially when cropping for birds. I'm shooting at ISO 1600 and go to ISO 3200 if needed. With the D300 I shoot at ISO 400 and really hated going above that if I knew I would be cropping at all.. After that the D300/s smokes the D7100 in every aspect. I know the D7100 is supposed to have an upgraded AF system but in real life shooting I don't feel it. The speed and buffer is so much better on the D300. I actually have only shot with the D7100 since I got it and I am getting by for now with shorter bursts and the camera still chugs away at 3 FPS when the dinky buffer is full.. The D300 is always ready to go if needed. Once the Ospreys return and I start shooting dive sequences I will be torn as to which camera to shoot.

I keep reading (rightfully so and comparitively speaking) how crappy the 7D iso performance is. Then, I go out shooting amongst what I call the serious birding and wildlife photographers and the overwhelming majority of them are using 7D's. I only call them serious because of all the 300, 400, 500, and 600 mm primes I see many lugging around.

Then I check out Flickr and see the results. How much better can things get really? That being said, I myself and waiting/hoping for a 7D mkII. Why? Because I am a nutbar first of all. Secondly, I hope it has enough specs that satisfy me for the next 10 years - that along with the 300mm 2.8 mkII. My dream team.

The 7D is still the best crop camera in Canon's lineup, imho. I played with a 7d and a 70d on the same day and besides the cool touch screen and the cool video AF system, If I shot Canon I would be shooting the 7D myself.

It is a shame that Canonikon has seemingly abandoned us wildlife shooters. It seems to me one of the biggest markets in the future for DSLRs. No tablet or phone will be able to slap a 600mm lens on it and fire away like our cameras can. At least not in my lifetime...

Just curious. Do you use 95mb/s cards? I see videos showing how the buffer chugs along (and as you state), but I also see threads where the faster cards make a pretty significant difference.

I just ordered one yesterday so I will be able to compare the 95mb/s to 30mb/s and 45mb/s.

I run a pair of 95MB cards in my D7100 and they help a lot vs my ld 45MB cards.

Yup I have 95 mb/s cards and they clear the buffer way faster.. I already have 24,30 and 60 FPS on my camera :)

8fps makes or breaks your offsprey shots, but 20fps is overboard? why not 20fps?

I've said before (and probably in this thread.. just too lazy to find it and quote it) that IMHO... In 5-7 years the wild life photographer will just be shooting video and pulling out the stills they want.

8k Video (UHD) = 33.2 megapixels

When your DSLR can shoot 8K video @ 24/30/60/120 FPS with a high quality 600mm lens why shoot stills? The hard part will be sorting through the millions of frames to find the best 'image'.

I've said before (and probably in this thread.. just too lazy to find it and quote it) that IMHO... In 5-7 years the wild life photographer will just be shooting video and pulling out the stills they want.

When your DSLR can shoot 8K video @ 24/30/60/120 FPS with a high quality 600mm lens why shoot stills? The hard part will be sorting through the millions of frames to find the best 'image'.

This is a slippery slope.

News papers are canning photographers in favor of cell phone photos. Then some time back, Reuters canned all their Sport's photographers in favor of live feed images from US Today. Their just going to pull stills from video. Now you're suggesting people pull their stills from video. If this keeps up, photographers will disappear faster than the Dinosaurs.

The new Fuji camera that is expected by the end of January is rumored to have a support for the new UHS II SD card with "super fast writing speed"

Doubtful.

Its going to happen... Its just a matter of time. Companies like RED and Canon are getting ready for it.
Shooting Video For Stills
Pulling Still Photos From DSLR Video, the New Canon 1D-C ? PictureCorrect

Ever go to an NBA game and sit behind the basket? lots of fixed-mounted DSLR's and one or two 'moving' video cameras. How long before one of those video cameras is setup to shoot video 'stills' (high shutter speed). They already have somebody moving the video camera around to follow the action. If you can pull stills from that 'feed' your bound to get better shots then from the 'fixed' DSLR's. (who.. by the way.. somebody still had to setup a ladder and pull the memory cards from during half time at the game i was at this week).

Bingo. 4k will start this trend and 8k will solidify it.

I'd say we are no more than a couple years out from seeing the first 4k video DSLR. I am actually surprised that the new D4s doesn't have it. I want to say the limiting factor is the removable storage media and the buffer. Putting in SSD on board storage would solve that issue. Right now the average SSD write speed is around 500mb, pair that with 1TB capacity and you have quite the nice storage space for 4k video. Size of the drive is the only issue, maybe as a battery grip add on.

Doubtful.

Its going to happen... Its just a matter of time. Companies like RED and Canon are getting ready for it.
Shooting Video For Stills
Pulling Still Photos From DSLR Video, the New Canon 1D-C ? PictureCorrect

Ever go to an NBA game and sit behind the basket? lots of fixed-mounted DSLR's and one or two 'moving' video cameras. How long before one of those video cameras is setup to shoot video 'stills' (high shutter speed). They already have somebody moving the video camera around to follow the action. If you can pull stills from that 'feed' your bound to get better shots then from the 'fixed' DSLR's. (who.. by the way.. somebody still had to setup a ladder and pull the memory cards from during half time at the game i was at this week).

Yup, I can see Professional sports switching to video they them selves control and selling access to news and sporting good business directly. We're already seeing some news media dumping Sports photographers in favor of it. So it's just a matter of time.

Most reactions

Back