D40x vs D50

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking to get a dslr and i heard both of these cameras are great starter cameras. Other than megapixels what are the main differences between the two and which do you guys think would be the best buy.

D50 D50 D50 D50! Get the friggin D50!

................ sorry, got a little carried away. The D40 can't autofocus with all Nikkor lenses (defeats the point of buying a DSLR). that's the main thing. it's also built tougher. You only have a smaller screen a few less megapixels that won't really matter. D50 is a MUCH better deal.

Yeah exactly as above. The D40 lacks an autofocus motor. While this may seem like a small problem it leads to other threads here saying what lenses can I get that work with the D40. If someone likes portraits they can largely forget autofocus since Nikon hasn't released most of their fixed focal length large aperture lenses with an AF-S motor in them.

d50 all the way. like above said, you can use more lenses with it.

As far as I've heard the D40 lacks a motor in the body, so you'd have to get lenses with motors in it.

But... According to a friend of mine the D40x actually does have a motor in it. I'm not sure whether I should take his word for granted, but it actually is something to look into.

D40 and D40x both lack an internal drive motor.

D50 all the way, The D40 is a REALLY stripped down DSLR.

Thanks for the heads up maddermax :) Tomorrow I'll kick my friends ass for disinforming me.

ok so i think ill go with the D50. thats what i have been thinking for a while but i wanted your guys' opinions also. thanks

The D50 is cheaper and mostly at least as good as the D40(x). The D40 does have a bigger screen, and some other niceties, but the D50 is better built, more comfortable to hold, and very important: a lot cheaper (although it might be somewhat hard to find a D50 that isn't second-hand these days).

Most reactions

Back