D50 memory

joyride

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cognizantcog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today i confirmed the rumor that the D50 cannot handle over 2 gigs. I recently got a 4 gig card, and all I get is [CHA] in the display. I attempted to format it and nothing. I read that the Nikon cannot format the large card, however if you do it on a pc, the camera will be able to use it. I attempted to load it into a computer and it wouldnt even pick up the card. is there something I need to do in order to format it? I assumed it would pop up and I could right click and hit format. However, nothing popped up.

Hmmm...... I put a 2 gig in my camera and made the pictures take on the small setting, the screen read 999 shots remaining for about 130 photos then started to go down. Still formatted though, doesn't really help you out.... sorry.

I wouldn't use a 4GB card anyway. I just assume have 4 1GB cards as aopposed to 1 4GB for safety reasons.

I haven't filled a 1GB card with a day's shooting yet - or a 256MB for that matter. And I shoot RAW+JPEG. I wouldn't know what to do with 4GB other than spend more money on it. Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Perhaps you need to practice editing your portfolio before rather than after you trip the shutter.

I haven't filled a 1GB card with a day's shooting yet - or a 256MB for that matter. And I shoot RAW+JPEG. I wouldn't know what to do with 4GB other than spend more money on it. Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Perhaps you need to practice editing your portfolio before rather than after you trip the shutter.

It depends what you shoot. If you have to document archeological excavations somehwere and you have to go for several hundreds of pieces a day... then you need a lot of memory.

Or when you shoot fast motion, there will be a lot of not-so-good images which you will delete only later when going through them.

SD cards over 2 GB are actually a slightly different format called "SDHC" (Secure Digital High Capacity).

Just because a peice of equipment supports "SD" cards you should not assume it also supports "SDHC". There isn't a lot of support for the format yet and as far as I know the D50 does not support it.

As suggested I would stick to smaller cards if I were you. Even shooting fine large JPGs on a D50 you get over 250 shots on a 1 GB card so get a few 1GBs or a couple of 2GBs.

Most reactions

Back